Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking to buy a mic

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    The most useless mic to buy is in my humble opinion, anything with USB after the model number. You can't record stereo, you can't use two or more at the same time, you cannot use them at a distance, you can't use them in front of very loud things, and pretty much all they're useful for is one mic - press record and speak into them. I have one and loads of ordinary mics and the USB one actually sounds quite nice, but is just a bit pointless.

Thanks
    I'm not sure why you think condenser mics are better quality than dynamics, both have their uses , and both work equally well in the recording realm.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    I'm not sure why you think condenser mics are better quality than dynamics, both have their uses , and both work equally well in the recording realm.
    Capacitor microphones have a much wider frequency response than most dynamics. The SDCs especially can be within a few dB from 30Hz to 20kHz and a wide, flat response is a pre-requirement of any audio system with claims to high fidelity. Then most capacitor mics have a much greater sensitivity than dynamics which means the noise level for a given sound level is generally better though I will concede that a really top line pre can give very good results. Ultimately though, if you want THE lowest noise system you look to the NT1a and its ilk.

Dave.

Thread Information