liver singing...condenser mic connection with amplifier!!

itban_omair

Dear All,
This is my first post to this forum. I am keyboard player. I purchased amplifier and condenser mic (Audio technica-2020) recently for vocal live singing. when I connect mic to amplifier and start singing, I can hear loud noise coming out of amplifier every few seconds. Its like bad noise..... what do I do to get rid of this?? its irritating.. do i need to buy some kind of mixer?? I also order pop filter too.
PLease help!!!
many Thanks
Itban

Not likely a keyboard amp is going to have phantom power supply that the condenser mic needs anyway.

Please be more specific as to the exact gear you are using, and post a sample of what you are hearing, once you have the ability to post it. :)

Hi Friend,
It is Kustom PA50 Personal PA System. when i connect keyboard to this sytem it sounds well. but if directly connecting condenser microphone with XLR cable ,every few seconds it sounds nasty.. when i try to balance my face while singing with mic it works well but again after sometime i listen sharpnoise.

Attachments

• 634498650452640915.jpg
    634498650452640915.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 184
It doesn't appear that the Kustom has phantom power that you need to run that mic. If that is truly the case, you need to get one of THESE.

Something I'm not getting from this....are you saying the mic cuts in and out or doesn't work at all? Regardless, my suggestion is to use a mic more appropriate for live sound like a 58.

If it does have phantom power and the mic works but you're getting a nasty sound once in a while, could it be feedback?

If you don't know what feedback is, an example is that high pitched squeal you hear when people get up to give a speech in a movie.
It's not necessarily always high frequency though, but it's always nasty.

Dear Steenamaroo,
I guess i am getting the similiar sound what you have observed.. any suggestion to get rid of this.

If the problem really is feedback: aim the speaker away from the mic and aim the mic away from the speaker.

That Kustom gear does provide phantom power, but it is 15v while the AT2020 specifies that 48v is required. That could be causing some sort of problem. An external phantom power supply that puts out 48v may solve it.

If the problem really is feedback: aim the speaker away from the mic and aim the mic away from the speaker.

That Kustom gear does provide phantom power, but it is 15v while the AT2020 specifies that 48v is required. That could be causing some sort of problem. An external phantom power supply that puts out 48v may solve it.

I think the sensitivity of that mic could well be a factor too. For live use, that is not a good choice of mic.

All of this....

Feedback is when sound is amplified, but the amplified sound reaches the mic so it is amplified again.
That also reaches the mic and you get an loop of amplification : Feedback.

As suggested, make sure the mic isn't pointing towards the speaker.

When you see acoustic guys playing in bars they've always got the speakers out in front of them. That's why. ;)

Back