live mixing and mics for vocals

BaltJack

Alright,
The opportunity came up for me to mic and mix a live gig. It's going to be heavy on vocals and background vocals...hell...it's a college accapella group. :) I've never done anything like this before, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tips for me.

Since I've only got one mic (mxl v67), I guess I'm going to have to purchase (or rent) some mics for this. my idea is to mic the greoup in the background with a couple of instrument condensors, and then a mic in front for the soloist. maybe one more mic just for the basses. Seem like a good/bad idea?

Also, since this is live, I know I'll probably need a notch filter or soemthing to cut feedback, a condensor to boost everything, and possibly reverb to fill out the sound.

Wow. I might be in over my head. This is going to be fun. :)
Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
-balt

I recorded a 5 piece accapella group not long ago. 19 songs!!!! College guys.

Tried a couple of ideas, and ended up with them standing in a circle facing each other. Dynamic mic on stand in front of each of them. (sm57's). 5 channels input to board. They decided not to use headphones.

Initially I recorded a couple of songs where they stood all facing the same way (semi circle) and sang toward a couple of LD condensers. Didn't provide enough mixing flexibility and they re-did those. Also tried a LD condenser placed overhead and pointed down toward the center of the circle while they sang into 57's. Idea was to use that sound in conjuction with tweaking individual voices. The mix they liked was just the 5 dynamic mics.

I've got a nowhereradio account. I could post a couple of mp3's if your interested.

Later

Typically you want to think "classical" not rock when it comes to miking. Small diaphram condensers are par for the course.
One simple way to go is to get a matched pair of SD condensers
and arrange them in X/Y fashion.
You'll want a stereo mounting bar (around $40-50) to do that
properly. If possible, record them in a room that has good natural
reverb to get the overtones better, like a church.

Usual suspects for condenser makes would be Marshall 603's,
Okatava MC-012's, and Rode NT5's. Be aware that the Guitar
Center Oktava's differ wildly in quality. www.oktava.com selects
the "good ones" for you, however, at that price point you might
as well get the NT5's or wait for Studio Projects C4's to hit the
dealers. Sometimes overhead condensers are also used, especially on large choral groups for further enhancement.

There are "resident" experts here like Harvey Gerst or Alan Hyatt
who can give you better additional (detailed) advice if they spot your question, than myself though.

Know how you feel, my first concert to record and run the P.A.
is coming in March.

Chris

Back