Live Mics

moelar2

I'm looking to get a really good live mic for my singer. I have an idea what I want but thought I'd check around and see if there are any other recommendations out there. I'm either going with a Audix Om3, Audix Om5 (more money), or a Beta58. I'm not really into the AKG live mics, but will consider them if any of you have had good experiences with them. We currently use a Sennheiser evolution 835s and a sm57. The Senn Blows the Shure away BIGTIME! I think the Audix mics are the best in this price range ($100-200). This is inteneded to be a rehearsal mic. Looking for good front to back discrimination and rugged composure. Oh - and it must sound good too :)

Thanks

You got it

You can't go wrong with the Audix OM3. Nice mic. I think it blows the SM 58, 57's away. They also seem to hold up well too. Rugged but not as much as the Shures.

Most of the tech riders I get these days call for the Beta58. Having said that, it's my opinion that the OM5 sounds better with most female vocalist. This would all depend on the singers range but I tend to get more sibilance with the Beta58.

Both are Hyper-cardioid so care should be taken to not place monitors directly behind them. They have good side rejection but have a node directly in back. This is why most riders I get, call for 2 monitors for the vocalist.

Don Goguen
Folk Cafe Productions

Back