Listen to this cheap ribbon mic

j0nas

Hi,

I just want to share with you all what a cheap ribbon mic can do.

I put a cheap ribbon mic (t.bonbe rb500) at the back of the stage (behind the drummer) when mixing a small live show here in Sweden yesterday. I always record everything, so put up this mic to be used for ambience for the recording--it was never used in PA system. I was really surprised of the result for this mic alone. Of course, I will blend the mic with rest in the full mixdown, but anyway... listen:

I selected a part in the song where the drummer had a short solo. The clip is mono and no processing at all, just the ribbon mic:
https://soundcloud.com/jonas4711/drums-ribbon

Here is anoher song from yesterday (same jazz band)... it is the full mixdown (draft) with the ribbon as ambience mic:
https://soundcloud.com/jonas4711/mso-live-song1

Yep. I used cad 179's in fig-8 in a similar position that turned out ok. The rear lobe can be a minus' overall, but with luck and the rear wall / ceiling reflections not too close (strong), real nice. You can get a bit of isolation from the rest of the bandstand with the side nulls as well.

For a draft mix of a stage recording that does sound pretty sweet. The kit sound, the ride in particular sounds just right for this genre. Thanks for sharing the demo, and another idea.

Cool.

Since this is a discussion about a mic, I moved this to the Microphone section.

Thnx

It was an outside show, but the stage had a wooden roof. The mic was placed approximately 2 meter behind the kit and about 2 meter up.

I'm pretty sure the RB500 is the same mic as the Nady RSM-2, but with a slightly different headbasket. I've used the Nady version for vocal and brass recordings on several occasions, always with great success. It takes EQ beautifully and is a remarkably solid performer for the money. (Heck, it's a solid performer for several times the money....)

Of course, the Nady version sounds even better if you upgrade the transformer. I can only assume the same is true for Thomann's rebadging.

Back