Liam Gallagher's mic technique

cordura21

How can this work, and why does he do it? He's too close to the mic, doesn't he get plosives, or an unbearable proximity effect? Maybe it's not a cardioid? And btw, do you know what mic is? Regards, Andrés

i77131760.jpg

Some singers like to get right up to a mic to use the proximity effect to their advantage. It makes some sound fuller and bassier. On a dynamic like that, you're not going to get nearly as much breathe noise or pop as a condensor, certainly not enough to be noticable over the rest of the band or the singing itself.

It not so much 'mic' technique as 'singing' technique

Head up and chin forward raises the larynx and allows him to sing marginally higher notes - it is a very common thing in untrained singers(screamers) - if he's ever had a vocal coach I'm sure hes been scolded about it. Its not the kind of thing youd want to copy.

As much of a dick as Liam is, I have to admit I love his voice (at least his voice on Oasis Cd's).

His voice is dying ... I think it's tonnes weaker than it used to be. He can do the odd studio performance but he will never be able to tour in the same way again. Shame, because he's one of the greats at what he does.

I hate it when people eat mics and there is tons of proximity effect. Yeah, you need to get close to sound "full," but why don't they ever cut the muddy bass out of it? You can almost never understand what people are saying over a PA because of that, and it seems so simple to fix. :rolleyes:

OneArmedScissor said:
I hate it when people eat mics and there is tons of proximity effect. Yeah, you need to get close to sound "full," but why don't they ever cut the muddy bass out of it? You can almost never understand what people are saying over a PA because of that, and it seems so simple to fix. :rolleyes:

Fuck that. If you are on stage with a drummer, two loud guitar players, and a bass player, you eat the mic, or you are not heard. End of story.

The live world is NOTHING like the studio guys. You can not bring the same techniques to a venue without iso booths, headphones, and a control room. They just don't work. 58's and 57's are DESIGNED to take advantage of the proximity effect. If you are too far away with them, you get no low end. But the real problem with a singer on stage is that there is also a muppet with drum sticks a few feet away. If you are not eating the mic on that stage, the only thing you will ever hear in the vocal mic is the drums. If you don't believe me, try it sometime.

Remember, the FIRST goal of live sound is to make sure the audience hears everything. Sound quality is secondary. Once I guaranty the audience can hear you, then I'll worry about how you sound.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I know that and I said that.

I said why don't people cut muddy bass out. When people just sit there and talk into them it is like "muh muh muh muh" or whatever other indistinguishable mumbo jumbo because it is so muddy.

I had a guy who swore by his AT AE3300 the other week, I'd read they were overbearingly strong in the low end up close but he seemed to be backing off. Then for some reason he decided that when he sang louder, he should also get close onto the mic. It audibly (as in the whole audience heard it) clipped in my speakers and carried on booming until I'd put on a high-pass and rolled the entire low EQ off.

Dunno if that contributes to your discussion or not!! :o

noisedude said:
Then for some reason he decided that when he sang louder, he should also get close onto the mic. It audibly (as in the whole audience heard it) clipped in my speakers and carried on booming until I'd put on a high-pass and rolled the entire low EQ off.

:mad:
Why do they all do that?

you can get right on top of the 58A and not have too many problems -

and like they say...in a live show, that's bigger then pops/hiss -

I also noticed he sings upwards - I heard you get better projection that way - but who knows...the man didn't exactly go to the Roger Daltery school of frontmanship -

great band in the 90's though.

RB

OneArmedScissor said:
I said why don't people cut muddy bass out. When people just sit there and talk into them it is like "muh muh muh muh" or whatever other indistinguishable mumbo jumbo because it is so muddy.

Well, I always do.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back