Lesser Known Brands

wtfuhz

5 dollar loud blunts
Dropping all that cheese for a logo and a name behind a mic isn't always necessary. There are plenty of lesser known mic brands that produce some amazing sounds.

What are some lesser known brands or models that you've tried or heard and would recommend? Could be for vocals, amps, drums, whatever. It could even be a mod or a clone as long as it sounds good.

At the inexpensive end - Line Audio make some amazing microphones at stupidly low prices that punch well above their weight.

At the top end, Microtech Gefell (the company started by Georg Neumann in 1928) - equal to (if not better than) Neumann, DPA and Schoeps, but far less well known.

Not to mention cheap mikes built on more expensive designs that can be modded, like the MXL 990 and 2001. You can get an outstanding mike for under $500 by buying a $100-200 mike and adding 200-300 for replacement capsule and board.

Niaint.com The owner was a one time big contibuter here. I've got three now.
Not affilliated.
Rich

:confused:
niaint.com and naint.com come up server not found. niant.com comes up a redirect site...am I getting the address wrong?

If you can find them, Akai produced microphones for the Pearl Drum Company from 79-80. I have one that is a blatant copy of a Shure SM53/54 and is a very good sounding mic. Got it for $20 from a Guitar Center.

Ooops sorry for the typo guys. I blame predictive txt, despite the fact I dont have it on here.
Maybe its my age..............

I've also heard some really good stuff from Karma Audio, anyone have experience with them?

I've also heard some really good stuff from Karma Audio, anyone have experience with them?

I have a couple of Karma Silver Bullet's Review Here and actually used them as overheads on my bands last album, ridiculous low price. Also bought a couple of inline XLR pads and a pop screen from them.

Alan.

Back