LDC suggestions

oh moresound, you do make me laugh :laughings:

Tomm, it all kinda depends on what you'd define as "a step up". what are you looking for in the sound? what will you be using it for? what's your price range?

my standard cheapish LDC recommendations for vocals and/or acoustic guitars are; sE2200a (the original silver one, about £169), sEZ3300a (about £200), Avantone CK7 (about £260), AKG C214 (about £290), Rode NTK (about £390), neumann TLM 102 (about £435). Each have their own pro's and con's, each has their own sound, all of them are fairly versatile

What I'm looking for is an alternative to my 3035's or AKG 391's for OH's, strings or choirs. I really don't feel like spending more than about $400 each. I would also be open to other Joly modded mics. The 3035's and 391's sound just fine, I'm just looking for an excuse to buy more mics with something different to offer.

What I'm looking for is an alternative to my 3035's or AKG 391's for OH's, strings or choirs. I really don't feel like spending more than about $400 each. I would also be open to other Joly modded mics. The 3035's and 391's sound just fine, I'm just looking for an excuse to buy more mics with something different to offer.

The Avantone CK-40 looks like an interesting mic...I've never used it, but I've been checking it out recently and find it interesting. It's a stereo LDC! Looks like it could be really cool to use as OHs and such!

I promise I'm not an Avantone whore or anything :)

The Avantone CK-40 looks like an interesting mic...I've never used it, but I've been checking it out recently and find it interesting. It's a stereo LDC! Looks like it could be really cool to use as OHs and such!

I promise I'm not an Avantone whore or anything :)

Neither am I but I can't say enough about how much I like my CK-40.

And you don't have to always use it in stereo mode ... just plug in one of the leads and you have a single multi pattern LDC!

Neither am I but I can't say enough about how much I like my CK-40.

And you don't have to always use it in stereo mode ... just plug in one of the leads and you have a single multi pattern LDC!

Ahhh I had no idea you had one dude! That's cool. It's definitely on my list!

Ahhh I had no idea you had one dude! That's cool. It's definitely on my list!

That was the microphone in the picture that I was wiring up while hanging off a theater balcony. I believe that it's in the MP3 clinic under the thread I started called *Death Defying*

Back