Lavaliers on an H4N

Yeah, you will probably be OK with the ones you ordered. It will need the 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter which I believe you now have.

Good luck and please post again if these work out OK.

Yay! It worked. Huge thanks for getting me through this guys - really appreciated!!

So now - for the avoidance of pain - here is the full lowdown on lavaliers and the H4N:

- If you are happy with one lavalier, then it's simple - get a stereo one and pop it in the Ext Mic socket at the back, and make sure that Menu>Input>Plug-In is ON

- If you want two, as I did, read on...

- If you haven't bought the lavaliers yet, make sure you buy a model that doesn't require power!! That way it should just work fine, although you will need adapters detailed below to connect them

- If, like me, you bought the lavs first and they won't work (except for in the ext mic socket on the back - see instructions above) then they probably require power. Don't try using Phantom Power as I expect you'll fry your new mics

- To avoid problems, it's important to be sure that everything you buy is mono all the way through, starting with the mics, then the power supply and then the adapter

- I bought two of these inline mono power supplies 3.5mm MONO JACK PLUG IN POWER SUPPLY BATTERY MODULE FOR ELECTRET LAPEL LAVALIERE | eBay
s-l1600.jpg
This solves the power problem

- Then you need adapters to connect the two lavs to the sockets in the base of the H4N.
https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/jack-jac...-jack-female?gclid=COm884_s5s8CFYIV0wodD5AIVw
jymveyh.jpg

I also bought some of these, which I imagine should work... but for some reason that I haven't yet fathomed, in practise they don't!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Y021NA/ref=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1
Rhode1.jpg
So, keep it simple, buy the jack adapters above, which are way cheaper anyway.

Hope this helps anyone else stuck with the same scenario to avoid some unnecessary pain!

Yup, thanks. This might not help anyone else presently, but someone will find this through a google search in the future.

Back