large/small?

dobro

What's the difference between large condenser and small condenser mics? And for anyone who is considering telling me: "large condenser mics have got a large condenser, whereas small condensers have a small condenser" - just don't do it. :)

It is not the size of the condenser that is important, it is how you use it..... :)

Those two terms refer to the diaphram size.

You came close to doing it there... Okay, but do they have different sounds, or different capabilities, or different uses?

I'm in the same boatfull of ignorance maintained by my oh so finite experimental budget. My limited understanding of acoustic physics leads me to believe that the large diaphragm condenser will have more sensitivity and detail than its smaller cousin. Any ears-on input is welcome.

First of all let me say, I know nothing but I have been checking out Earthworks mic's and from what I have read the smaller the condenser the faster the transient response and the higher self noise of the mic. That means, I guess, that these would do well with drums, cymbols and anything that would require a fast response time and not so good for voice or something that would have quite passages. Check em out. http://www.earthwks.com

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 01-23-2000).]

drstawl is soooooo close to the perfect description.

A large diaphram will "usually" have more sensitivity. Often the diaphram is made with very lightweight materials.

I think though the main difference in small and big is big diaphrams tend to pick up a fuller sound due to the increased diaphram size. There is more material area to catch the sound wave. Generally, large diaphram condensers are used for micing applications that a more full range sound is sought with great detail. This can include vocals, overheads for drums, acoustic guitars (if full bodied sound is sought for the track)percussion, hell, just about anything. I use large diaphram condensers on guitar solos, horns, anything really.

Small diaphram condensers deal with sound a bit different. They have a more direct quality to them due to the smaller diaphram size. It is harder to get a really detailed, full bodied sound with this kind of mic. But there are many applications where a full bodied detailed sound is not required.

Often, to get a very detailed high end sound on a acoustic guitar a small diaphram mic is the ticket. Due to the small size, the on/off axis response of the mic comes into play alot more. It is much easier to get a "specific" part of the sound to come out without room sounds and what not from coming into play. So you could say they are a bit more directional overall although this should not be confused with the polar pickup pattern of the mic. It is a little hard to explain. Anyway, great uses for a small diaphram condenser are acoustic guitars that will be double mic'ed, drum overheads (for a bit thinner sound than using large diaphrams), hi hats, percussion (same exception as overheads), bowed instruments, hell, once again almost any application.

Like I say, the main difference is going to be that large diaphrams pick up a more full bodied sound. They make a better all around mic because they have more variety in what they can pick up. But small diaphram condersers have a very detailed sound also, but are better in applications where isolation is important. Or where a more specific type of response is required.

It is apples and oranges really. It is very helpful to have at least one of each. There is not real way to say that one or the other will cover you in all situations. But if you had to choose, a large diaphram would probably serve you better overall.

Ed

I think of diaphram performance in a simular way as speaker performance. It would seem that physics works the same for both directions.

- Mid size speakers can produce a greater range of feq. better than small speakers. By the same token, small speakers have quicker responce time than larger ones.
- Large diaphrams can reproduce a greater range of freq. than small ones, but smaller diaphrams reproduce the higher freq. better.

Note: I did not use large speakers because that would be comparing it to something like a 2" or 3" diaphram.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 01-24-2000).]

Right, now we're talkin'. That would explain why I like my Rode for vocals better than the AKG c-1000... or would it? Maybe it's just cuz the Rode's a better mic?

An friend engineer (who's been in the bus for at least 20-years) once told me he guesses anywhere from 100-500 (I don't remember the large number he used, but you'll get the point) vocalists he's come across sound better on an SM-57 than on an U-87. Imagine that?

Get the point?

Well, conclusion I'd draw is they don't sing so well so it's better *not* to catch everything they're doing. Right mic for the right job, in other words.

Off topic here, but you ever hear of an engineer called Riley Wilson? Probably Sonusman has - same neck of the woods, I think. I just heard a new album by a guy called Kelly Joe Phelps on Rykodisc - blues with a twist, just voice and guitar, magic like whiskey - and although the main reason I like it is for the music, another reason's for the sound. What a treat. I reckon Riley didn't use the SM-57 with Kelly Joe. Just a guess. :)

Back