Langevin CR3A mic....

I heard that its a dog.

I heard so, I did not actually hear it myself, and I am inclined to believe it. It uses a chinese capsule and transformer. THe reviews I read also said that its not real smooth.

You know, I've been kinda wondering if any of these current crop of $200-$400 mics can actually, truthfully, stand up to something like the mid priced TLM-103. I know the 103 has excellent QC, and I'd be willing to bet the guts are of higher quality also. I'd like to be able to do a shootout, up close and personal, with a real clean preamp, like a Great River or Millenia. I have a feeling the Neumann might kick some ass on a revealing system.
Dont get me wrong, mics are getting closer to great and cheaper all the time, and I love it. But as much as I wanna believe that there is a Neumann butter-smooth mic out there for less than $300, I'm skeptical. I'll never obtain anything over a a TLM-103, which isnt quite butter smooth, unless Stephen Paul gets his $1000 line to market, then I'll be all over that one. Quick. But I think the TLM-103 is dependant on preamp, and with a couple of preamps, you could change, if you will, the results obtainable with that mic. It might be a little topish, but its a smoother topish than what I've heard from the cheaper mics. Am I wrong? Maybe so. I need an up close and personal week with a few of these mics to see. Doubtful it will happen. Anyone here have a 103 or ahve opinions?

Tubedude,

That's one of the main tests I do when I'm listening to a new vocal mic. The mic under test is plugged into Channel 1 of the Great River MP-2 preamp, the TLM103 is plugged into Channel 2. Set to the same gain setting, I check relative output, throw one out of phase and adjust for a null to listen to the tone, then crank both up and match self noise.

I'll have a Millenia Media in here next week, and I'll try some tests with that, but I think they will be very similar sounding. The MXL V67G, the 2003, and the V77 and the Studio Projects mics stood up very well to the TLM103 and that's why I recommended them. So did the Oktava MC012 with the Lomo head.

Tube I just tried a TLM103, AT4050 and KSM44..I tried them thru a Mackie VLZ{good enough that you can tell the difference}..Now I tried them just doing the check 123 thing but I spent about a hour doing this..I ended up going for the 44..The 103/4050/44 have there own things..103 was the slightly brite,4050 slightly veiled and the 44 was the most detailed..Now I was splittin' hairs..With the right pre I dont think that you could go wrong with any of these mics..I have a V67 and it does not sound as open as any of these mics in my opnion..We can't afford C12s/Tele251s and some great Neuman that Hitler sang "love me do" into...But theres no way you can't get great results from one of these and say a Grace,Earthworks or a Meek if you are inclined..Good hunting!

Don

Last edited:
I really like the Shure line of mics.. I tested the KSM32 at my local GC and I fell in love with it... too bad I can't afford it... I'm wondering if this new KSM27 will stand up to them.

Isaiah

Ya know, you may as well pull every hair on your head out. Picking a mic is a total bitch. Picking equipment is a total bitch. There has to be one "better than the rest 80% of the time" mic for the under $1200 range, but finding it? Good F-ing luck.
C'mon Stephen Paul, get that new mic done, damnit.

Back