KSM44 and something else...

vanguard

I'm looking for another LD mic.

I have a ksm44 now. I like it. I want something to contrast it.

probably couldn't spend more than 1300 on it.

Are you saying you want another condensor or another large diaphragm mic? What kind of recording are you doing? What instruments will you primarily be recording with the mic?

War

this will be for vocals mostly. most of the stuff we do is artsy pop music.

I want something with some character. yeah. I'm thinking a large diaphram condenser.

preamp wise I've got great river, universal audio 6176, and RNP.

vanguard, the KSM44 is fairly neutral FET mic. You could use a more robust mic to complement it. I'd suggest an ADK Commemorative Edition - multi-pattern tube mic w/ NOS GE 6072A valve. http://www.adkmic.com/specs/Area51CE.html

Great quality mic with a lot of character, texture and sonic versatility.

Dot said:
vanguard, the KSM44 is fairly neutral FET mic. You could use a more robust mic to complement it. I'd suggest an ADK Commemorative Edition - multi-pattern tube mic w/ NOS GE 6072A valve. http://www.adkmic.com/specs/Area51CE.html

Great quality mic with a lot of character, texture and sonic versatility.

is that CE mic pretty much the same thing as the TT? I know it has a special tube but it's quite a bit more expensive... Does it really sound that much better that the tt?

vanguard, both the TT and CE are great mics. It's not a matter of "better" as much as it is in some subtle sonic differences. You mention you wanted more character, and the CE does have more character and texture than the TT. The difference in the pricing is reflected in the CE having the hand-picked NOS tube, a different grill, and the CE is finished in the US. The CE isn't that much more than the TT, and worth the additional investment, IMO, for what you're looking to do.

Dan, I always enjoy and appreciate your insights. Let me ask you something...how would you compare the Area 51 CE to, say, the AT4060 or the Studio Projests T3 or the MXL V77s.

I know questions like these are always difficult and subjective. However, unfortunately, there is no way for me to listen to any of these. Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) carries these mics around here. I am in the market for a good Tube mic (as I do not as yet own one).

Thanks...

I think it was Ozraves ... maybe Dot ... who pointed out that just about all of the Shure condensers seem to have this aggressiveness in the midrange. Just a bit of an edge.

I think if I was looking to compliment the ksm-44, I'd look for something with more of a midrange scoop; or at least a bit less pronounced. A lot of the Chinese condensers have that (and I noticed you guys are already talking about some of them) ... some of the earlier Rodes, like the NT-2. The Blue Dragonfly would be a heck of a nice addition to go along with any of the Shure condensers.

Look at the freq. responses and keep an eye on the 6K region. If you don't see any bumps around 5-6 khz ... maybe a slight dip in the mids and a little extra around the 12 khz region, then chances are it will be a compliment to the Shure. This is very generally speaking, obviously... you'll want to try some of these out first-hand.

If you don't have access to mics to try out, ask a larger mail-order place which manufacturers offer a 'try before you buy' program. I know SE mics does this, mainly because a large majority of people who try them buy them. I'm pretty sure a couple of other manufacturers offer something similar. OR some places have rental stock you can try. Then if you place an order, they give you credit on the rental towards the purchase of the mic.

How about a Soundelux U195? It fits the budget, and will play very nice with the preamps listed above:) Oh yeah, they sound great too:D

xstatic said:
How about a Soundelux U195? It fits the budget, and will play very nice with the preamps listed above:) Oh yeah, they sound great too:D

That was my thought. Or maybe an AEA R84 ribbon or the Gefell M930.

Of course, for $1,000 you could pick up both an AT 4047 and a MD441.

Back