KSM27 and KSM44 similar?

Diffusion

Future Astrophysicist
I have heard that the KSM27 and the KSM44 are basically the same mic with the same sound, the only difference being that the KSM44 has a switchable cardioid, omni, and bidirectional pattern... is this really the only difference? Im trying to figure why I should pay hundreds more for a switchable pattern when I will only be using the cardioid...

They're not the same mic.

Kinda' similar, but the 44 is a better mic. Don't ask me how or why. It just sonds better.

Diffusion said:
I have heard that the KSM27 and the KSM44 are basically the same mic with the same sound, the only difference being that the KSM44 has a switchable cardioid, omni, and bidirectional pattern... is this really the only difference? Im trying to figure why I should pay hundreds more for a switchable pattern when I will only be using the cardioid...
Well, it's true that they are "basically the same mic." They do share the same electronics, including the diaphragm. However, this does NOT mean that they sound the same. In order to have switchable polar patters, the 44 has TWO diaphragms, rather than one. Not only does this make it possible to switch polar patterns, but it changes the frequency response, as well. In particular, the 44 is much stronger in the bass. In practice, if you listen to the two mics on female vocalists, or on instruments that don't have much going on in the bass, they will sound almost identical. But they sound very different on male vocalists, or on any instrument with a lot of bass frequencies.

Brad

Incidently, if you have a KSM 27 AND a 44, you CAN do stereo recording, by setting the 44 in a figure 8 pattern and doing a mid-side setup. But you would NOT be able to use them side by side in a near coincidence set up. The difference in frequency response between the one with two diaphragms and only one would make them not match each other, tonally.

Brad

ok... well i do rap vocals so id be a lot better off going for the KSM44 then... since it has stronger bass... thanks...

I thought the bass came from a, well a bass and not the vocals on a rap song. why would you want stronger bass from vocals?

bass... meaning low frequencies... yes vocals have low freq's im pretty sure every sound does to some extent, just some more than others...

engineer, i heard the 32 isnt as good as the 44 on rap vocals...

Back