Votes: 134 40.9%
  • Sennheiser e602

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • Shure Beta52

Votes: 108 32.9%

• Total voters

nezpierce

OK,

I know the d112 is the most widely accepted kick mic, but another post by Harvey got me thinking about the ATM25. I have never used AT or Sennheiser for that matter at home so who really makes the best under $300 kick mic?

ATM25 $169
D112 $245 (ish)
e602 $189-199
beta52 $189

Bonus for recording bass/guitar for added low end.

Give it up y'all!

nP

(oh yeah, I am talking all around usage, not for just one style of music, and yes I will eventually use more than one mic on the kick when recording, and no I don't have the money to buy a ribbon mic, hehe)

The one that I've personally used that I liked the best? An EV RE-20.
What I'm currently using? D-112.
A friend of mine who owns a local music store loaned me an ATM25 and I played with it for a weekend and to me (YMMV), I prefered the D-112 so I puchased a second one.
I like it on guitar cabs too every now and then.

Track Rat said:
The one that I've personally used that I liked the best? An EV RE-20.

I guess I should say that the EV RE-20 can be submitted as a write-in, but it is out of the $300 dollar price range.

Unless of course someone has a hook up....

nP

I also own and use an RE20, used to think the D112 was okay for the $, but EV really does blow it out of the water...mind you, it should for the price difference!

BW
Pinederosa Studio

jitteringjim said:
This exact topic was posted in the drum forum a couple of months ago. Try the search function.

Yes, I saw that post actually and didn't feel like the question was really answered.

I really didn't see much feedback about the Sennheiser either.

I know that what sounds good to me is all that really matters but I'd still like to hear about other people's experiences with the 4 mics in question....

nP

I Voted

Well I tend to like the D112 slightly over the Beta 52. Ed (sonusman) tends to like the Beta 52 slightly over the D112.

I've never used the e602.

I like the ATM25 FAR over the D112!

I had a D112 for about a year and in just about EVERY situation, I felt COMPLETELY dissatisfied. Tried the ATM25, and have been happy with it since... That was quite a few years ago.

Now days, if I'm miking inside the kick, it's the ATM25 every time. If outside, it's an RTT VM100 about 1 - 2 1/2 feet away or a 797 Audio (in fig. 8) about 3 - 4 feet away. Every once in awhile, I'll use a HOPPROD PZM on a 2 1/2ft. X 1 1/12ft. of 3/4" wood on the floor (carpeted) in front of the kick.

I worked with the RE-20 years back and loved it! Then Ed came to the studio with one and reminded me how great it was... I WILL eventually buy one! It's just a matter of when. Though, I'll be buying a Sennheiser MD441 FIRST... Eventually! It's a great all-around dynamic... And phenomenal on vox!

You also didn't mention the CAD Equitek 100. Very nice round bottom (this mic has extended low frequency reponse), with a nice little slap up top. I don't own one, but I've used one in a studio setting. It's a hot mic. Electret condenser and affordable. High SPL handling.

You also didn't mention the old stand-by EV RE-20. This was the first mic I ever used to mic a kick and little did I know at the time that I was working with a classic. Now out of production -- no idea what the new incarnation of the RE-20 is like.

I recently did a shootout with the ATM25, D112, and Beta 52. It was done in a typical, large, open room and ran into a Seasound Solo Preamp/24/96 card into Sonar. Two bass drums were used as a test bed - Tama Starclassic Birch 22" x 18", and a Peavey Radial Pro 501 22" x 18". If I get a chance, I'll post some samples, but here's the summary.

D112 - As expected, great bottom, lots of snap, and kind of that scooped modern bass drum sound (surprise). The D112 took well to EQ (software) and compression (dbx 1066). The D112 sounded similar on either drum.
SUMMARY: This sound is great for heavy music. Rating 3 of 5.

Beta 52 - Similar to the D112 in sound, only a little less scooped through the mids. The Beta lost a point for being very heavy (the stand kept sagging, and we kept having to reposition) and gained a point for handling EQ very well. The 52 also didn't seem to be as hot as the others. The 52 didn't color the sound quite as much as the D112, allowing us to hear the difference between the bass drums.
SUMMARY: This mic is good for rock - a little more versitile than the D112. Rating 3 of 5.

ATM25 - This mic sounded like the drum, not the other way around like the D112. Very punchy, realistic sound. It's high output gave us a slightly cleaner signal than the Beta 52. It was just a little resistant to EQ, but took well to the insane compression we tried on it. Heavier than the D112, but not heavy enough to weigh the stand down.
SUMMARY: Very well rounded, this mic comes alot closer to the actual drum sound than the D112 and Beta 52. Rating 4 of 5.

Although I didn't use it in the shoutout, I also have a Peavey 520 bass drum/vocal?!? mic. Very smooth, punchy sound. Similar in sound to the ATM25, but with a bit more low end. Although I'll probably get a D112 (or D12) eventually, the ATM25 is my bass drum mic of choice.

Henrik,

With the D112, I never felt I could get an all-around balanced sound... I'd place it in one position and it'd have plenty of snap, but not nearly enough thump. I'd then re-position it to get the desired thump and would find it, but then I'd completely loose the snap. I always felt I was struggling with it and NEVER got a well balanced tone.

I NEVER could find the punch I wanted in it! Problably because of the scooped mids...

With the ATM25, I found it well balanced with PLENTY of punch to go around! It was a bit hard to find the "sweet spot" for awhile where I was getting a balanced thump and snap pretty much in every position, but no punch. BUT once I found the "sweet spot", I KNEW FOR SURE as it was damn near impossible to miss since there was FINALLY PLENTY of punch for my satisfaction. It'll vary from kit to kit, but it's now pretty easy to find. And with kit, I can find it the first time, nearly every time... Even in unfamiliar environments at gigs.

So, I think theglitch and I are pretty much on the same wavelength.

Thanks, Glitch and RE for your input!

I'm in the business of buying a kick mic, and I just happened tp see a used ATM25 in a music store. I think I'll get it then. I suppose I could bring it back if I'm not happy with it. I have previously borrowed a D112, and it seems VERY voiced. I prefer to have more of a choice when it comes to EQ'ing and compressing.

Thanks again, guys!

/Henrik

Henrik said:
Thanks, Glitch and RE for your input!

Yes, very much so!

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for, especially theGlitch's detailed testing procedure. I do agree that the d112 seems to be used alot more (especially live) but it is good to hear as much as possible about the atm25 & Beta52.

So no one is using the Sennheiser?

nP

Roel said:
Look HERE dude!!

Best mic for kick?

jitteringjim said:
This exact topic was posted in the drum forum a couple of months ago. Try the search function.

He's already gotten his li'l share of flaming. And so far this thread has turned out to be more informative than the old one. But sure, I agree: Use the friggin' search function. You'd be surprised.

Henrik said:

He's already gotten his li'l share of flaming. And so far this thread has turned out to be more informative than the old one. But sure, I agree: Use the friggin' search function. You'd be surprised.

<sarcasm>
Hmmm, did it ever occur to me to use the search function? Why yes, it did.

Gee, I don't seem to be finding the information that is helpful to me , maybe I should post this again.

dude

</sarcasm>

Again, thanks to all of you who:

A. Stuck mostly to the mics listed in the poll
B. Only mentioned the re-20 once (cuz can't afford it)
C. Gave positive feedback
D. didn't tell me to use the search function that I already used.
E. Noticed that this thread IS, in fact, more informative than the last one...

nP

Last edited:
Back