Kick Drum Mic and My Set Up

zackformula

hey everybody, I just wanted to get some opinions/suggestions on which kick drum mic would go best with the other mics that I have. (for recording rock, punk and metal drums). Are there any kick drum mics that are better for recording a kick drum with its front head on?

My mics are:

AT4040
Studio Projects C4's
Shure 57

Thanks. And also any suggestions on how to mic up my kit with my current mic locker (if you can call it that) and my soon-to-have kick drum mic.

Thank you

I'm assuming you're talking about a kick drum with no hole in the resonance head when you say "with its front head on"? If so, you might try putting the kick mic right outside the head, and building a "tent" of sorts over the front head and the mic setup with a heavy packing blanket, to sort of isolate the mic. You don't want the blanket touching the front head though, so it still rings out. Then you might try putting a second mic (even something like a SM57) on the beater side to pick up some more of the click of the drum, if you feel its necessary.

As for mics, its all a matter of taste. I use an Audio Technica ATM25, which is a good budget kick mic. I like it more than the Shure Beta 52, but I've never compared it to any other kick mics. A lot of people like the AKG D112, and the Audix D6 and Sennheiser e602 (I think thats the one) are becoming pretty popular as well. Really, those are all well regarded budget kick mics (I think they're all under $200) and its just a matter of which sounds best to you.

I also suggest the atm25 audiotechinica. Great mic easy to position and sounds better than any of the d112 akg,s I had. and about 50 bucks cheaper.
But I would try using the c4 for overhead sm57 on snare and the 4040 on the kick, Outside the kick that is and maybe use a pop screen on it. I would do this before I spent any money on a kick mic unless you are going to go to a gig with it, Then I would suggest getting the amt25 or something similar and leave the 4040 at home.

thanks everybody.

Adam P: yeah, I am talking about a kick drum with no hole in the head. Do you have a suggestion on how to go about setting up this "tent"? Just a couple of chairs and a blanket maybe? thanks.

Herm: I'm going to try the 4040 outside the kick drum. hadn't really thought about that before, but it could work.

I'm kind of torn between the ATM25, the Sennheiser e602 and the Audix D6.
I think I'm leaning toward the ATM25 because I saw it for $140.

Thanks again

Of all the kick mics on the market, the ATM25 is one of the only mics I will not use. I actually prefer an sm57. Of the ohter mics, most are very similar and reliable purchases.

Back