Just got my Rode Procaster!

Benking34

Helllo everyone, just got my Rode Procaster on the mail and was wondering around the internet for an Audio Interface, couldn't decide what to take so.. ye :), budget is around 200$.

P.S Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how to use a Dynamic mic? first time using that kind of microphone.

Thanks for the help!

Can you be more specific on what you mean by "Using" the microphone? You mean plugging it in or what? Audio interfaces around $200 would be the scarlett 2i2, in my opinion.

When I say use I mean in a physical way like, where the microphone should be located (side or front of the mouth?), can it be upside down? etc..

and for the Audio Interface, are the preamps on the 2i2 identical to 2i4 and 8i6?

When I say use I mean in a physical way like, where the microphone should be located (side or front of the mouth?), can it be upside down? etc..

and for the Audio Interface, are the preamps on the 2i2 identical to 2i4 and 8i6?

I suppose the 2i4 and 8i6 have a slightly better amp than the 2i2.
Microphones can be located in however you want it to be, just tweak it until you are satisfied with the sound, then record. Remember, most of your recording techniques should be done by yourself ( location, upside down, etc ). I have already done a thread about hanging microphones upside down , so be sure to dig out whatever information you can! But just don't revive that thread.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

I suppose the 2i4 and 8i6 have a slightly better amp than the 2i2.
Microphones can be located in however you want it to be, just tweak it until you are satisfied with the sound, then record. Remember, most of your recording techniques should be done by yourself ( location, upside down, etc ). I have already done a thread about hanging microphones upside down , so be sure to dig out whatever information you can! But just don't revive that thread.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

That's great thanks! let me wrap it up with my final "shopping list":

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/8i6 (we'll see).
Heil PL2T Boom Arm.
BSW RE27POP Pop Filter.
Rode PSM1 Shockmount.
Monoprice Premier Series XLR Male to Female Cable.

Doe's that sound good enough or do you think I should change something? Thanks for the help man!

That's great thanks! let me wrap it up with my final "shopping list":

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/8i6 (we'll see).
Heil PL2T Boom Arm.
BSW RE27POP Pop Filter.
Rode PSM1 Shockmount.
Monoprice Premier Series XLR Male to Female Cable.

Doe's that sound good enough or do you think I should change something? Thanks for the help man!

I suppose that will be it for the moment, BUT, remember to get extra thread adapters, incase your microphone holder's screw won't fit into the microphone stand.

Why get the deskmount stand?
why not get a normal boom arm floor stand.
the deskmount stand will make alot of noise. any mouse clicks will transfer as will if you touch the desk with elbows hands , kick the desk. the sound of those springs too maybe heard.
Its better imo to decouple the mic from such sources if possible.
Plus your not so limited as to where you can put the mic in the room.
Its my experience that a mic sounds differant wherever it is being used in a room.
So if the mic sounds better in the far side of the room and your desk/Table is nowhere near its a problem.
Are you doing vocals?
Voice overs?
Podcast
Gaming commentary?

Either way you can still use a floorstand mic to put the mic above the desk if needs be.
Breathing is easier if the Artist is stood up and not hunched over in a chair just my two pence.
What are you wanting from the mic more info please.
Welcome to the forum btw Ben

Why get the deskmount stand?
why not get a normal boom arm floor stand.
the deskmount stand will make alot of noise. any mouse clicks will transfer as will if you touch the desk with elbows hands , kick the desk. the sound of those springs too maybe heard.
Its better imo to decouple the mic from such sources if possible.
Plus your not so limited as to where you can put the mic in the room.
Its my experience that a mic sounds differant wherever it is being used in a room.
So if the mic sounds better in the far side of the room and your desk/Table is nowhere near its a problem.
Are you doing vocals?
Voice overs?
Podcast
Gaming commentary?

Either way you can still use a floorstand mic to put the mic above the desk if needs be.
Breathing is easier if the Artist is stood up and not hunched over in a chair just my two pence.
What are you wanting from the mic more info please.
Welcome to the forum btw Ben

Thanks!
Forgot to mention but i'm doing Gaming Commentary :)

I can't get those floor boom arm's because there's not enough space.
The Swivel Desk Arm is alot more easy to control while doing PC stuff, you can just swing it to the side and then back to me if i'm not using it, where with a floor stand there's no where to swing it if I don't use it and it's sticking infront of my face. I can just swivel it up but that will be kinda weird.

I choosed to go with a Dynamic mic just because it isolates room noise alot more better, my PC is loud and I can't do nothing about it (tried to silence it as much as I can) but the Hard Drives are still making noise.

Currently i'm using an Blue Snowball, wasn't so impressed of the sound quality of it even though it was my first "Professional" microphone.

Beware of proximity effect with dynamics. Unless you want that "voice of god" effect
Good luck

Back