Ive read, and read, but I am still at a blank.

pM of impk21.co

I am trying to find the right mic, but according to some materials, there is no such thing, so, this question has probably been asked 100+, but I still would like a custom answer for my situation.

My trials, I am recording to an 8-track(24 bit) recorder currently with a MXL 2003 large condensor mic. Ive used a Shure SM58 as well as an AKG s1000. The MXL seems to give the best results, but yet it seems like we could still get a better sound. I have invested in some "decent" studio monitors to help focus on a more accurate sound, but yet I am still thinking it could sound better.

Specs. I am recording in a 11'X10' room with a 8 1/2' celling. We have the MXL 2003 in a corner, well some what. The walls are plastered, which is expected but sucks. I live in a rental, so I cant really do too much constrution with the room. The MXL is powered by a Beringer 4 channel mixer with phantom power. In which the sound goes directly to the recorder.

The deal is we are trying to get a more warmer vocal sound. The problem is when we get the mic to a point where it dont distort, you can still hear a lot of reverberation. So we turn the mic volume down and we loose the feel of the emotion. Any suggestions on mics in a condision simular to mine. ANY feedback would be appreicated, thanx for reading, peace. pm

I hope "the corner" means facing "away" from the corner...

Other than that, you need to deaden out the space... Not much you can easily do for lows without dragging a few sofas in there, but the higher stuff... Blankets strung between mic stands or hanging from the ceiling (piece o' cake if it's a drop-ceiling), carpeting - If you've got some Auralex and a couple sheets of plywood you can make a fairly effective "isolation area" - Far from perfect, but better than nothing. You're not going to get everything out, but with some experimentation in placement, you'll probably find a happy place.

Hope that helps a bit...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

soundproofing is definitely your first issue......

then you can think about getting a nice standalone preamp.......

I kinda' think the 2003 basically sounds like garbage to begin with. Sorry for being so blunt, but that's just my feeling on the matter. And even if it sounds fine (which it may), in a poorly-treated room, you might be better off with a dynamic mic with a tighter pattern. My suggestion would be to see if you get any better results with a Shure SM-57 or 58.

Secondly, Massive brings up a good idea. Drag a sofa or two in there; it will help. :D Also try and get a hold of some packing blankets and hang those up around your vocal area.

The 2003 is a very usable mic. Work on your mic placement and source sounds before worrying about more mics. Those mics you have are more than capable of good sounds.

A condensor will sound more like the room than the dynamic, since it's so much more sensitive. Try moving your mic out into the room, also.

I keep reading about some folks who live in rentals not be able to do much in the way of sound treatment.

Here is a link to a product a guy on Ebay is selling. This might be the answer for some of you who live in rentals.

I haven't tried this stuff but it looks very promising.

Audimute

I'm getting some to try out and will report on it's effectiveness.

Earl

Auralex

I just saw an Auralex product that fits directly behind the mic for better isolation. These were smaller pieces and probably not that expensive. They seem to slip over the mic stand and position themselves directly behind the mic.

cOOL

Thanx for the help. I know the MXL 2003 is not the best mic, it just seems to be the best sounding one we have. But I am seriously condsidering a better mic...........

LOL, yes, the mic is facing away from the corner... I will check out the links you guys provided, and see what I cant do for some treatment as far as the room goes, thanx for the iinfo. I will get back at cha with some thoughts to see what cha think. peace, pm

What you’re describing is characteristic of low end preamps. What preamp are you using? It may be your running into a headroom issue with your preamp.

Less expensive preamps will sound great if your close on the mic but with their low headroom will be overdriven on the loud notes. Backing off the mic will be no help because then you’re not pushing the preamp to get a warmer sound.

You might want to drop a compressor on your vocal chain to control the loud notes. This would be my first approach. This would allow you to come close on the mic and not worry about distorting.

2nd, I would try to find the warmth through a good tube preamp. Just padding a corner may not get you the warmth you are looking for.

My 2 cents.

@ Middleman,

I am using a behringer Eurorack UB802 4 channel mixer with built in phantom power. We usually record backed away from the mic a bit, maybe 4-6in. But the last track we recorded we turned the gain down a little and recorded much closer to the mic. Like an inch to two inches away from the mic. I tried that to help get rid of some of the back ground noise, (reverberation, etc.) It seemed to help, but then the vocals lacked, just a little!, power to em, so it seemed.

I guess that is the deal we are in, do we get a different mic, get a pre-amp, treat the room. Im on a budget, so I dont have the $ to do all three at the same time, in your opinion, or anyone else's, what should be the first priority? Again thanx for you help and suggestions, Im still trying to decide the productive route. peace. pm

Buying another mic would not add that much warmth unless you go to a tube mic which would be around $399 for an NTK or similar thing.

For $179 you could get an RNC compressor and warm it up slightly but with the Eurorack things might seem a little lackluster on the vocals.

I would probably recommend getting a DMP3 preamp for around $159. This will warm things up too and provide more clarity in the vocal than the preamps in your mixer.

Your choice depending on the money you have.

Last edited:
pdlstl said:
I haven't tried this stuff but it looks very promising.

Audimute

Heh he he he ! ! ! :D :D

This is some great stuff.

I'm sure this stuff works fine and all -- don't get me wrong. But did you get a load of that pic ? ?

I'm going to go waaaaay out on a limb, here, and guess that the guy who owns this living room isn't married. (?)

Can you imagine if the queer eye for the straight guy dudes came and visited this guy's place? :D Well, firtht of all, we're going to have to get rid of these billowy, fluffy blankets all over your walls and go for some softer pastel patterns.

Attachments

• deadroom[1].jpg
    deadroom[1].jpg
    7 KB · Views: 142
First deaden the room... then add a little distrotion (stomp box, whatever you have) to the vocals. Just use a little to warm it up and give it some grit... not too much tho, or it will sound like crap.

this tread makes me wanna hold out for a tube mic instead of a high end condenser+pre amp which if done right would cost more than the tube. I never tought of what he brings up with thhis thread....reverb. Tho I pretty much plan on recording in a closet with foam...:) but the pre amp + compressor + condenser = bankruptcy for me

Build some gobos out of plywood and Knauf or Owens/Corning Rigid Fiberglass Soundboard. Use 3-pound density 2" and cover it with muslin.

Plaster walls in a room that small must sound like a bathroom.

I'd pass on the Aurelex mic thingys. Not gonna do a damned bit of good in the situation described above.

And get the mic out of the corner!!!!!!

Although the center won't sound much better.

Stand in the middle of the room and clap your hands. Hear the reverb? That's flutter echo and you'll never get a decent sound in a room like that.

Spend a couple hundred bucks to build some gobos. You can take them with you and they won't mar up your walls.

Back