It's the little things - RODE microphones

Armistice

Son of Yoda
I have a RODE NT2 - long out of production apparently. Came with a shockmount. So finally, the rubber bands on the shockmount have got a bit spongey.

I go online to see if I can buy some somewhere but don't really have much luck - didn't actually know that the shockmount was a model in its own right, so maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Anyway, being Australian, and RODE being an Australian company, I send them an email asking if they know where they can be found, with a plea not to send me to the supermarket to buy hair elastics.

They reply, within a day, and tell me that the particular shockmount is long gone as a production item, so the bands are hard to find, but they think there are some hanging round the office somewhere and they'll have a look and what's my address so they can send me a set if they find any.

I say "Awesome, hope you're sending me an invoice too as I wasn't scrounging for freebies" - they're hardly expensive, anyway. They reply, "No, if we find any, they're on the house..." Better and betterer.

Package in the mailbox today (I am in the same city as RODE head office), with not one, not two, not three, but four sets of bands for my shockmount.

All free. How's that for kickarse service? :D

PS. If anyone else with an NT2/SM1 shockmount needs a set, I'll do you a good deal... :laughings:

They're an enigmatic bunch..........anyways, it's good you had success but for goodness sakes, what's wrong with hair elastics?

That's awesome, I always appreciate it when a company will go the extra mile for fans of their products. Some companies just get it.

I had my really old version (almost prototype) of an NT1 stop working a while back, my tech said it was the transformer, phoned Rode and they did not even know how mine was made originally due to it's age, but they searched around and found a new transformer in someones desk draw, sent it too us for free.

Love Rode.

Alan.

They're just not something I have hanging around... ;)

I've refrained from replying until now but I know what you meant, however, I could apply the sentiment to Rode........they were the pioneers in "presenting" but not disclosing the origins of Chinese made mics to the market at a price that belied their origins. They must have made serious $$ this way for them to have been able to justify bringing their manufacturing closer to home.

The history of Rode is most interesting.

Of note is the origin of the name Rode, and its first microphone, the NT1, i.e. rodent 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B8de_Microphones

'Bringing their manfuacturing closer to home' seems to have been a natural progression in Rode's pursuit of vertical integration, i.e. taking control of all parts of the manufacturing process. This has paid off in the high quality standards they currently maintain.

I've refrained from replying until now but I know what you meant, however, I could apply the sentiment to Rode........they were the pioneers in "presenting" but not disclosing the origins of Chinese made mics to the market at a price that belied their origins. They must have made serious $$ this way for them to have been able to justify bringing their manufacturing closer to home.

I have no idea where mine was made. I already had it when I joined this place 16 years ago as I believe it was the essence of my first question. I've always assumed it was Australian and they went Chinese later, in terms of manufacture - but I'll have a look now. :D

I have no idea where mine was made. I already had it when I joined this place 16 years ago as I believe it was the essence of my first question. I've always assumed it was Australian and they went Chinese later, in terms of manufacture - but I'll have a look now. :D

And on that note, 16 years for a set of shockmount bands is not bad at all ... and now I have four more sets.... let's see, I'll be.... dead :mad: before I need to hunt them down again at that run rate.

I'll have to make provisions in my will now, clearly... :D

The history of Rode is most interesting.

Of note is the origin of the name Rode, and its first microphone, the NT1, i.e. rodent 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B8de_Microphones

'Bringing their manfuacturing closer to home' seems to have been a natural progression in Rode's pursuit of vertical integration, i.e. taking control of all parts of the manufacturing process. This has paid off in the high quality standards they currently maintain.

Thanks for posting that link, man :thumbs up: It was an interesting read. Plus I am now subscribed to "Rode University" on Youtube. Pretty informative and helpful stuff

I think I've had mine for about 20 years now. Love it, though it is a little worse for wear.... One funny thing is that there are Rode counterfeits out there now, a sure sign of success :-)

In June last year I bought the new black NT1 on spec.

It quickly became my go-to mike for most things.

That is, until a couple of weeks ago when quite suddenly it stopped working, and all I got was the sound of wind rustling in the leaves.

So I contacted Rode. They acknowledged it was under warranty, sent me some paperwork, and in return I sent them the misbehaving mike.

Today I got it back . . . but not just the mike . . . they sent me a whole new kit, i.e. the new shockmount and various other bits and pieces.

So while I was surprised that the mike stopped, my faith in Rode has been vindicated.

Funny mix with Rode. They seem to get fantastic rep in terms of customer care but the vast majority of wind/rustling noise threads seem to be about Rode mics! :eek:

Funny mix with Rode. They seem to get fantastic rep in terms of customer care but the vast majority of wind/rustling noise threads seem to be about Rode mics! :eek:

That comment puzzles me, rode are no more susceptible to mosture or bad connection ( the usual cause of this problem) as any other brand.

Alan

It's just an observation. Maybe there's coincidence involved or maybe it just speaks about Rode's popularity or their popularity in certain humid areas or countries.
I've seen a lot of NT1/a wind noise threads, though.

I haven't done extensive studies or surveys. :p

It's just an observation. Maybe there's coincidence involved or maybe it just speaks about Rode's popularity or their popularity in certain humid areas or countries.
I've seen a lot of NT1/a wind noise threads, though.

I haven't done extensive studies or surveys. :p

I think its due to the owners being mostly home studio owners that don't look after the mics properly, for example not putting them away when they finish using them. I keep all my mics in draws on foam in the leather pouch or case (if supplied) and the draws have the moisture absorbing bags placed in there. Mostly if I have a wind noise it's a dirty xlr plug upsetting the phantom power. This is not confined to Rode mics.

Alan.

Back