Iphone 6 which microphone for distance recording

jaryszek

Hi,

i want to record from about 7 - 8 feet (3 meters) 3 or 4 people using iphone (interview).
I have rode micro with sc7 adapter but this is not very good power (7 feet is max for it and it is quiet).

Did anybody test maybe micro rode pro with iphone?

How was your impression?
From how far did you record?

Please help,
Best,
Jacek

Yes. But, I guess the question is why are you using an iPhone. Is it being video-recorded?

The idea that shotgun mics can actually record things at a distance is a myth. They can reduce side noises, essentially narrowing that cardiod pattern, but the distance is still going to require more gain, and any noises within the pattern are still going to get amplified, especially echoes off surfaces immediately around the subject(s). If you think about how you see those kinds of mics used effectively, it's probably most often at the end of a boom pole, pointing down, and just out of the camera frame. They're not sitting on top of the camera.

A couple boundary mics plugged into a digital recorder, or just the recorder itself, depending on how folks are arranged, might be an option to look at, or even going into an interface that can provide an audio feed to the iPhone for use with the video, if that's what you're doing.

Yeah, I'd think that something wireless and handheld would be better suited than a shotgun mic at several feet away from the sound source.

thank you Guys !!!
you are awesome.

What kind of boundary mics can you recommend? Wireless or wire ?

Maybe you know good ones from Amazon?

Best,
Jacek

Back