I'm about to buy a MXL v67G but i need "Phantom Power", what's that??

TheComposer

Hello, that's it, i was planning to plug the upcoming mic to my audio interface but it's gonna need phantom power to work, what's exactly what i'll need to make it work?

My audio interface: M Audio Fast track going to my lap.

Thanks.

Condensor mics like the V67 need power to run their internal circuitry.
Phantom power is usually around 48 volts that is supplied from a preamp or audio interface through the microphone cable to the mike.
You FasTrack should have a button or switch that enables the 48Volt phantom power.

Just be sure that your monitors are NOT ON or at least don't have signal going to your monitors (and headphones on for that matter!) while you turn on or off the phantom power.
Don't even pug the microphone in or out while phantom power is engaged.

You'll know why after the first time you do these things and your spitting out most of your speakers diaphragm and high end dome cone out of your mouth onto the floor! :eek: ~☼~ :laughings:

Ok i was checking and my audio interface model lacks of this phantom power, so what's what i have to do to make it work?

I found that if i buy a Phantom Power Supply like this one Buy Nady SMPS-1X Phantom Power Supply | Microphone Accessories | Musician's Friend and make some kind of chain with my interface, i'll be able to make it work with no latency, can you tell me your thoughts about this?

CONDENSER MIC ---> PHANTOM POWER INPUT :: PHANTOM POWER OUTPUT ---> FAST TRACK ---> COMPUTER USB.

Weird. Looks like M-Audio has a few different products with the "Fast Track" name. The spec sheet I read for your model doesn't mention phantom so I'm guessing it doesn't have it. You could always try plugging a condenser into it to see if it works or not.

If not, that Nady unit you were looking at will power the mic for you.

The solution you've proposed should work. I'd do a little searching on the Internet before buying the Nady box, just to see if there are any reviews. It probably works, though.

Additional observation:
Almost all decent mic preamps have phantom power, though apparently some of them skimp a little bit on the voltage. If you upgrade your preamp at some point, the phantom-power box will become somewhat superfluous, though probably not entirely useless.

Weird. Looks like M-Audio has a few different products with the "Fast Track" name. The spec sheet I read for your model doesn't mention phantom so I'm guessing it doesn't have it. You could always try plugging a condenser into it to see if it works or not.

If not, that Nady unit you were looking at will power the mic for you.

Correct, Lizard. The old Fast Track did not have phantom,. then the Fast Track Pro did, then the basic Fast Track was upgraded. They pretty much figured out that phantom power is a recording basic necessity. Duh...Richie

Back