If you HAD to use one dynamic mic for everything...

elbandito

potential lunch winner
...which would it be? Now obviously, a dynamic is not necessarily the preferred mic for every application but it'd be interesting to hear which mics get the most votes from all of you. Myself, I'm thinking the Beyer M88 might do a good job on most sources, including even *perhaps* acoustic guitar, though it may be a little dark sounding. If not that, then the EV 635a, because that sucker is a beast and it's omni nature might actually make it that much more versatile for recording lots of different instruments. Based on everything I've read, I'd like to say the Sennheiser 441 but as I've never actually used one myself, it's kind of pointless for me to cast my vote in on that mic.

So what do you all think?

57 live, or SM7B in the studio.

I'm guessing the 57 is going to crush the other options just because everyone has one or two or 12.

Alright. Well since its obviously a given that most will say the 57 is thier choice, I'd like to ask that ppl descriminate between a stock version and the transformerless one. I used my transformerless 57 on a combo organ thru a small tube amp and it sounded great! I much prefer it to my stock 57.

I think for me it would be the Sennheiser MD441U
When I saw the thread title, I popped in to say this - but you beat me by 12 minutes.

I've been doing some mixing for a singer/songwriter buddy, and I sent him home to track with one of these, and the vox tracks were so good-sounding and easy to work with when they came back that I think this guy found his mic.

I've used them to record bagpipes and brass, as well as a lot of drums (including kick). Probably great on guitar and bass cabs, but haven't tried yet. The only thing I can think of that I would hesitate on would be overheads for drums or acoustic guitar, but who knows.

For me it has to be the EV RE20. Can take close up on a vocals, bass or kick drum, and still good for acoustic instruments. And bass roll off when you need it.

I have three and would happily have three more!

i'm torn between the MD421, a stock SM57, and Blue Encore 100. i prefer the sound of the 421 most of the time over 57's and as an "only one mic" that'd probably be my choice, but the encore 100 works so much better on vocals and acoustic guitars (at a push).

if i was using it for every source ever in any situation; MD421

So far the old favorites have emerged.

Imagine that!

"One mic to rule them all...."

The omnis would be on that list too I think. Especially if they didn't have to be omni all the time!
By the way, why don't we have any multi-pattern dynamics?

Imagine that!

"One mic to rule them all...."

The omnis would be on that list too I think. Especially if they didn't have to be omni all the time!
By the way, why don't we have any multi-pattern dynamics?

I wish Msh was still here to elegantly explain this.

Has anyone tried that impedance mod w/ the SM57? (I gotta find the thread, you wire in a resistor or two and I think it loads the input a bit more.)

One dynamic? A Sennheiser MD441 for sure. Almost condensor like yet you could put it in front of a jet engine.

A number of years ago I got an RS130 mic on clearance at Radio Shack, apparently sold under the Shure label as a PG48. Looks basically like an SM58 with a switch, but has a decidedly crisper high end than an SM58/57, which you could eq away if you didn't need it.

Back