If You could only have one mic which of the following would it be?

Which mic would you choose if you could have only 1 mic and no others.

• AKG c214

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • AKG c414 (all models)

Votes: 35 38.0%
  • AKG Solid Tube

• Rode NTK

• Neumann TLM 103

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Telefunken M16 MK II

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Studio Projects T3

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Soundelux u195

• Shure KSM44

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Brauner Phantom C

• Peluso 22 251

• Total voters

mario_c

I understand that each individual mic has its pro's and con's and each one may be perfect one application but not so great with another. I know that there is not one great mic for every singer/application but
I am purchasing only 2 mics. First being a sennheiser e609 (for those who don't know this mic, it has a very similar sound to the sm57 except increased proximity effect on the lower frequencies like 100hz). Secondly I am getting one of the following:

AKG c214
AKG c414 (all models)
AKG Solidtube
rode nt2
rode ntk
neumann tlm 103
telefunken M16 MK II
Peluso 22 251
Shure KSM44
Soundelux u195
Studio Projects T3

So I need to decide between all of the previously stated microphones.

Base some of your opinions as if this mic you suggest is the only one I will own.

I have read a lot of the forums here and noticed almost everyone is looking for what I am but they do not compare all the mics which i listed.

So the microphone I am looking for needs to meet as many of the following criteria.

-I am looking for something that provides a good deal of airy quality pickup,
-something where you feel emphasized clear low frequencies and sparkling crystal clear high's with no distortion.
-I want to be able to determine and feel the differences in attacks (so I do not want something that sounds like its overly compressed),
-something that's overall a safe bet if I was only able to pick one mic.

I am also factoring in cost benefit analysis. So if I can get a microphone which is cheap enough to outweigh the benefits of paying more for another, then I will go for that cheaper one. (For example someone offered me an AKG solidtube for 600. Is that a cheap enough price to pick the solidtube over the c414b-uls?)

I am leaning towards the c414b-uls since most people agree with picking this one if you are only able to have one mic. Also, I compared this one to a U87 and a M16 MK II and although they were all quite similar (whereas one could get them to sound pretty much the same with a bit of EQ tweaking), I enjoyed the C414 most.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Nt2

I took the NT2 out of the poll since it does not compete that well to the others concerning what I am looking for. You can still suggest the mic if you believe the cost of it makes it worth while to get over the other mics.

Of the mics you have listed, I've only used the TLM-103 and I was not impressed. One of the big things on the U87 is that it has the various switches for pattern, bass roll off etc. I'm a big U87 fan, my favorite mic I ever used was a U48, they're like $8-10K. You can do almost anything with a U87.

AKG 414's don't work for me. It's a personal thing, I've seen video of Freddie Mercury using a 414 and lots of people love it, it's a studio classic for sure.

All I can tell you is what I'd do, and that's probably use a cheap clone and save up for a U87.

I haven't used an SM7 but I've heard recordings done with it and it seems like a great mic too.

I want to use it as vocal mic (although my preference -akg c414- is not the best for it, I like it). Also I want to use it for overhead or a compliment for guitar cab recording.

Of the mics you have listed, I've only used the TLM-103 and I was not impressed. One of the big things on the U87 is that it has the various switches for pattern, bass roll off etc. I'm a big U87 fan, my favorite mic I ever used was a U48, they're like $8-10K. You can do almost anything with a U87.

I agree with your oppinion of tlm-103. My go-to multi switch pattern mic would have to be the c414 over the u87 concerning what you get for the price. Even if the u87 was a bit better (which in my experience it hasn't been), I would go for the c414 because of the amount of bang for buck. My overall favourite mic would have to be the Rode classic!!!

Though this thread is looking at the listed mics because of what I'm looking for.

I agree with your oppinion of tlm-103. My go-to multi switch pattern mic would have to be the c414 over the u87 concerning what you get for the price. Even if the u87 was a bit better (which in my experience it hasn't been), I would go for the c414 because of the amount of bang for buck. My overall favourite mic would have to be the Rode classic!!!

Though this thread is looking at the listed mics because of what I'm looking for.

My KSM44 beat the hell out of my C414.

Of the listed options, I would pick KSM44 if my primary use was vocals, and C414B-ULS if my primary use was instruments. My experience is quite different from Darrin's. Although I prefer the KSM44 on most vocals (not all), I prefer the 414 on acoustic guitar, mandolin, violin/viola, woodwinds, and as an overhead. That is not saying the 44 won't work for all that stuff. It's a very versatile mic.

That said, my very first choice for the Swiss Army do-it-all mic is- none of the above. I would choose Soundelux ifet7. It's what a U87ai ought to be for it's price, but isn't.-Richie

BTW- I have extensive experience with the SolidTube, and it is a greatly misunderstood mic. First, it comes with a stupid internal foam screen. Ripping that thing out *vastly* improves the mic's performance and high-end detail. Secondly, it was built to withstand rather high SPL's, and you need to hit it pretty hard to get the tube to kick in. It's an underated mic, but not versatile enough for what you have asked for. It rocks on belters, screamers,loud cabs, and percussion. It would not be my first choice for wind chimes or quiet singers. It loves *loud*.

Of the listed options, I would pick KSM44 if my primary use was vocals, and C414B-ULS if my primary use was instruments. My experience is quite different from Darrin's. Although I prefer the KSM44 on most vocals (not all), I prefer the 414 on acoustic guitar, mandolin, violin/viola, woodwinds, and as an overhead. That is not saying the 44 won't work for all that stuff. It's a very versatile mic.

That said, my very first choice for the Swiss Army do-it-all mic is- none of the above. I would choose Soundelux ifet7. It's what a U87ai ought to be for it's price, but isn't.-Richie

BTW- I have extensive experience with the SolidTube, and it is a greatly misunderstood mic. First, it comes with a stupid internal foam screen. Ripping that thing out *vastly* improves the mic's performance and high-end detail. Secondly, it was built to withstand rather high SPL's, and you need to hit it pretty hard to get the tube to kick in. It's an underated mic, but not versatile enough for what you have asked for. It rocks on belters, screamers,loud cabs, and percussion. It would not be my first choice for wind chimes or quiet singers. It loves *loud*.

Your input is very helpful considering that is kind of the impression I was getting regarding the KSM44 and the c414. Now you have confirmed it. If the ksm44 fits my requests best, then I will put that at the top of my list. What is the average cost of it used? Is it multi pattern? Is it a tube? How's your experience with its immunity to interference? any samples?

The opinion of the solidtube is far different from what I've heard and i'm glad I have your input on that. Definitely doesn't sound like it would suit what i'm looking for.

Also, any price info or other info on the Soundelux ifet7?

The KSM 44 is a multipattern FET-based mic, no tubes, a direct competitor to the C414 for many years. I'm sure Darrin can give you lots of Youtube clips- he likes to use them for mic comparisons. I have no use whatsoever for clips of any kind. They can't compensate for the room, the rest of the signal chain, and compatibility of the mic to a specific source. Then it is subjected to post-production processing, and dumbed down to an MP3, making any actual comparisons meaningless. As far as "interference", I'm not sure what you are talking about. Mics are not usually subject to radio frequency interference, although some amplifiers are, including mic preamps. Also, note that I have *not* confirmed your impression of the KSM44 vs the C414. All I've done is given you my opinion, and the opinion of every other person here that has used these mics is just as valid. It may be that blondes are *not* better than brunettes. You can lay your hands on a KSM44 for about $650 new in the US, and what you can do used depends on luck and persistence. Like the 414B-ULS, the ifet7 is discontinued (along with the company that made it) and if you can find one used for $1000, you are doing OK.-Richie

Ya, the b-XLS is the replacement of the b-ULS. The attitude between the two is split. I'm beginning to lean more towards the ksm44. I just hope I in my case the ksm44 was the better choice for the application. I don't want to end up regretting the purchase. But if the majority of users believe it is overall a better choice for what I need it for, then I will go for that.

Well, what I really think is that the fundamental question itself is flawed. It's like asking, "If you could only have one tool, what's the best one? hacksaw? screwdriver? crescent wrench?
There's a reason why there are many different types of mics, and I believe that the biggest part of what a tracking engineer does is choosing the right one, and then putting it in the right place. I couldn't function without my C414, but I could say the same thing about SM7b, KM184, B.L.U.E. Kiwi, AKG D112, AKG C2000B, Oktava MK319, AKG D320B, and others.-Richie

You wouldn't regret the KSM44, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have liked something else better. You might regret not having a second condenser if you ever feel like making a stereo recording . . .

Yes, Richie, as I mentioned in my first post I understand that just one mic is the best for every application, room type, sound source, etc. I am only buying 1 new mic and I have a list of mics I've narrowed it down too. I explained what I am using it for primarily and what I would like to accent with it (some accoustic guitar to fill in some lack of details when paired with the sennheiser e609 by having the sennheiser up to chosen level and then raising the condensor up from mute until satisfied).

So based on what I am looking for and what I am using it for, which is your go to mic to try first. Which one does the better job more often then the other ones. I cannot explain this any other way.

You wouldn't regret the KSM44, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have liked something else better. You might regret not having a second condenser if you ever feel like making a stereo recording . . .

Ya regarding the stereo recordings for possible overheads, etc, I was debating picking up the stereo paired c414's. Only problem with this is you would have to purchase them new to know for sure that they were properly matched and thats over 2 grand. Plus now i'm leaning towards the KSM44 after listening to some samples (the difference with the recordings i've listened to are minimal [and obviously this could change with room size, preamp, sound source, etc]). Second choice is the c414b-uls. The ADK TL, Peluso 22 251, Brauner Phantom C, and Rode NTK are a little further either because of steeper cost or lack of meeting most of my requirements.

Are the rolloffs and filters as good on the KSM44 as the c414's?
Some have suggested that the lack of pickup patterns on the KSM vs the c414 becomes a problem. The type of recording I am doing I do not see it being a problem ( i like direct clean sound from one side. hyper cardioid is my preference). Does anyone think the fewer amount of patterns on the KSM44 vs the c414 could be a problem?

I'm with Richie on this one. I agree with his characterization of the KSM44 and C414B-ULS. Of your list, my choice for best all purpose mic (with a bias for vocals) would be the KSM44. Having multiple pickup patterns is handy - sometimes. FWIW, I find that, with very few exceptions, I use my multi-pattern mics in cardioid about 98% of the time.

Back