If You could only have one mic which of the following would it be?

Which mic would you choose if you could have only 1 mic and no others.

• AKG c214

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • AKG c414 (all models)

Votes: 35 38.0%
  • AKG Solid Tube

• Rode NTK

• Neumann TLM 103

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Telefunken M16 MK II

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Studio Projects T3

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Soundelux u195

• Shure KSM44

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Brauner Phantom C

• Peluso 22 251

• Total voters
i seriously hope that you fall in love with whatever mic you decide on based upon the recommendations in this thread. it's gonna be a disaster if you hate the thing. :p

Haha Willis. Don't make me nervous. I really hope it's not a disaster :confused:.

And that first quote you posted of me should have said:

"... as I mentioned in my first post I understand that just one mic is NOT the best for every application, room type, sound source, etc."

I made a grammatical error.

I voted Ksm44. I also own a C414BULS and lots of other mics but the 44 is the last one I'd get rid of. It is never bad on anything and always close to best. Really good on vocals. Excellent on acoustic guitar. As good an "all arounder" as I've found.

I'm glad to hear more emphasis on the Ksm44. I am leaning that way and want to know that I will not be disappointed concerning what I am looking for.
Thank you Quickmill!

Big Kenny
SM7- till you decide. (guessing this is your safe bet mic)
Brauner Phantom C

Dintymoore
Stephen Paul modified U87
U48

DGatwood
vintage U67

PhilGood
Soundelux e49
Neumann M49

Pohaku
KSM44

Richard Monroe
KSM44 – Vocals
C414- Instrumental

Omtayslick

KSM44

Darrin_h2000

KSM44

Quickmill
KSM44

Let me know if I am incorrect.

Darrin,

I sampled an AT4050 and my God, amazing true clean (just about flat) sound. It is accurate yet has a great clean bass response below 80hz which is what I want. Boost around the 11khz range for a more sparkly high. I read an article which stated that 2 companies which are standing out for NOT producing junk that sounds good in a vocal booth (because of eq boosting and lowering, geared more towards uneducated home studios) were SHURE and Audio Technica. So when comparing the KSM44 and AT4050, there is literally almost no difference and practical recording sound. There are slight differences in the 80Hz and below, and the 6kHz and above but they are almost non detectable by ear. The AT4050 is roughly $100-$200 cheaper than the KSM44 but the KSM44 has a sturdy shock mount (which can be necessay when dealing with some bands) and an additional roll off which appeals to me since it is at the 6kHz range. If I was going for pure sound, I would go for the AT4050. Since i'm considering some factors which I just mentioned, I will be going for the KSM44 as of now.

So for a large diaphragm condenser microphone geared towards:
clear male vocals (with clean bass below 100hz and sparkling highs around 12kHz) and all around useful mic for instruments (surprisingly includes miking bass amps, guitar amps, and even bass kick [with pad turned ON of course] as long as dB's are below 149 with the pad on and below 125 with pad off [there really isn't anything I can think of that you can't record without turning the volume down to below 149dB], I would go for the KSM44.

I really haven't used a lot of mics, but a vintage U67 is one I've used on several albums. A friend of mine who I've put out a few CD's with has one and we always have the choice between his old U67 and my U87.
Hands down we use my U87 more. More than 10 to 1. I should say that it isn't a normal U87, it's a Stephen Paul modified one (it still has the stickers from the Record Plant NY on it!). The U67 is ultra-fantastic to record guitar tube amps and great on kick. But for most vocalists it just doesn't sound right, whereas my U87 sounds right with every vocalist so far.
The conclusion I had with that mic is that it isn't very versatile, or at least way less than my U87. But I do love the mic, it's what it is, nothing like it on tube amps. Maybe U67's vary a lot? That wouldn't surprise me.
My favorite mic is probably the KM84.

I've not worked with either of them, but the limited raw tracks I've heard recorded with the U87 lead me to believe it would be a little bright compared with the way I like my voice to sound. IIRC, there was a variant of the U67 that is probably a better pick than either of those---maybe the M269?

Darrin,

I sampled an AT4050 and my God, amazing true clean (just about flat) sound. It is accurate yet has a great clean bass response below 80hz which is what I want. Boost around the 11khz range for a more sparkly high. I read an article which stated that 2 companies which are standing out for NOT producing junk that sounds good in a vocal booth (because of eq boosting and lowering, geared more towards uneducated home studios) were SHURE and Audio Technica. So when comparing the KSM44 and AT4050, there is literally almost no difference and practical recording sound. There are slight differences in the 80Hz and below, and the 6kHz and above but they are almost non detectable by ear. The AT4050 is roughly $100-$200 cheaper than the KSM44 but the KSM44 has a sturdy shock mount (which can be necessay when dealing with some bands) and an additional roll off which appeals to me since it is at the 6kHz range. If I was going for pure sound, I would go for the AT4050. Since i'm considering some factors which I just mentioned, I will be going for the KSM44 as of now.

So for a large diaphragm condenser microphone geared towards:
clear male vocals (with clean bass below 100hz and sparkling highs around 12kHz) and all around useful mic for instruments (surprisingly includes miking bass amps, guitar amps, and even bass kick [with pad turned ON of course] as long as dB's are below 149 with the pad on and below 125 with pad off [there really isn't anything I can think of that you can't record without turning the volume down to below 149dB], I would go for the KSM44.

You really cannot go wrong in that AT40 series...My voice really favors that AT4047...but I can do alot more with the KSM44...and I can record alot more instrument tracks with the KSM32...thats how I usually choose which mic I grab out of the locker....so if I only could have one of them its the KSM44.

I have a pair of AT4050s which tend to get used as my all purpose LD condensers. If the AT4050 sounds as good to you as the KSM44, I'd have no qualms about going with one of those. The shock mount arrangement on the KSM44 is better, but that doesn't affect how they sound.

If we are going to consider mics not on the list, then I'd personally prefer the Microtech Gefell UMT 70S, but we are talking significantly more money (not as much as a new U87, but about 3 times the price of an AT4050). Used, older U87s can also be very nice (not the current U87ai which doesn't sound quite the same IMHO), but you need to test them well before buying. Typically, an older U87 would run you about $2000 or so.

I picked up an AKG solidtube today from Long and Mcquade.

This is not the mic I am purchasing in response to this thread. I am still going to pick one out of the AT4050, KSM44, KSM32, AKGc414, RODE NTK, RODE NT2, RODE K2, SP C3, soundelux e49, neumann 49, or 103. Still haven't convinced myself until I am able to do an a/b test with them. Leaning towards ksm44 and AT4050 ( i'm just starting to dislike the boxy sound you get with the clear mid to upper mid boosting).

They had the Solidtube for $499 Canadian ($563Can with tax) with all pieces plus warranty. I figured at that it couldn't be too bad to add to the mic collection for that price. I was looking at getting a telefunken tube for it and also to rip out the internal pop filter (why put this in? why not supply pop filter screen instead or even nothing? It muffles the sound which is noticeable).

Any suggestions or info on the solidtube? I've been reading countless threads and each individual one states something different ( of course) so I figured I would get everyone's opinion in here on it since this thread is mostly geared towards what I am looking for. Also what telefunken tube for the solidtube? How do you rip out the internal pop filter best? Any other adjustments to the solidtube I should make? Please don't suggest getting rid of it haha (i'm kidding, give me all opinions even if you think it's junk; just explain why).

Have none of you experienced the U195? The Soundelux stuff was just so much more of that THING that none of us can really explain. Kinda like some of us who have been lucky enough to hook up with older Neumanns. I have an early 80's 87 and wouldnt trade it for any mic on the list. The 87i is heads above the Ai's IMHO.

As for versatile, a studio could get by with a couple of AT4050's, a KSM44, and a few nice dynamics...SM7, EVR20, Heil PM40, ATM25, etc etc....

But for that ONE mic, its got to be something with that THING. A Phantom C would be in that category as would the e49, Neumann M49, the iFET Soundelux is an incredible mic....the Bock mics are the new Soundelux company BTW. And of course a nicely aged and well cared for U87. Mine spent a few days in the care of Klaus Heyne and it came back as something so special....havent found a source I cant use it on.

The 414 series of AKG's are truly excellent mics if only because they do everything well....except a LOT of vocalists. If you happen to be one of the voices that they sound great on then never ever change. 414's are more of the swissarmyknife kinda gear. You cannot go wrong with a couple in the locker.

The 414 series of AKG's are truly excellent mics if only because they do everything well....except a LOT of vocalists. If you happen to be one of the voices that they sound great on then never ever change. 414's are more of the swissarmyknife kinda gear. You cannot go wrong with a couple in the locker.

Ive had a C414 and it was good for some things and not for others...and there are several different versions...not so much a swiss army knife...but useful.

the KSM44 has served me alot better.

Thanks, Cavedog. I like the list. I appreciate when everything is organized and stated in a helpful manor. Although other posts which just stated the single most appropriate mics have been simple and helpful as well. Over the past little bit I've been sampling mics and comparing them in the exact same rooms with the exact same equipment for the same applications for each test. I have done several tests sampling them for vocals with different conditions and equipment, for acoustics, etc. Only when mics are thrown off axis are used in non cardioid patterns do you really see some of them shine. Either way I've noticed any differences people have stated about any mics (which are still true) have been very much exaggerated (This is a good thing for me because although there may not be a big difference between them I still want to get the most appropriate and satisfying mic for my preference [more bang for buck]. If i'm going to be spending the money on the mic I might as well buy the one that's best for me even if the differences are ever so slight).

So I have never heard much praise over the solidtube considering its price for what you get. I purchased one just to add it to the collection since I got it for $563 canadian (tax included) from long and mcquade. I've found that the internal pop filter just muffles the sound source (i'd rather apply my own external pop filter when necessary. I sampled it against a simple low end cardioid microphone, the apex 110, and found the 110 to be clearer and more attractive to my ears. The solidtube of course was more warm and thick, but without the clarity it has no value to me. Not until I removed the pop filter and changed the tube did I notice the value of the solidtube. It wasn't that great, but it was still better than I expected.

Second choice is the....The ADK TL....

I wouldn't consider the ADK TL for a vocal mic...that's more of high-end instrument mic.
If you are looking at ADK mics...get the TT/CE. You will not look any further.
Multi-pattern tube mic....covers just about any voice and sounds real good doing it. That's my #1 vocal mic right now.
Check Full Compass. I got my TT/CE (Commemorative Edition) for only $1100 shipped...but that was a few years ago.

But you mentioned a lot of nice mics...so you have some good choices to pick from.

Have none of you experienced the U195? The Soundelux....

Yeah...if I had to ONLY pick from that list...I would go for the U195 if I was thinking about a vocal mic. That's what I voted for.

If I was thinking more about a "Swiss Army mic"...then I would go for the AKG-414...though I would get the BXLII model.

I wouldn't consider the ADK TL for a vocal mic...that's more of high-end instrument mic.
Multi-pattern tube mic....covers just about any voice and sounds real good doing it. That's my #1 vocal mic right now.
Check Full Compass. I got my TT/CE (Commemorative Edition) for only $1100 shipped...but that was a few years ago.

But you mentioned a lot of nice mics...so you have some good choices to pick from.

Geez...I always forget this one. Since I dont own it but can borrow it and have had it up in the studio on several occasions it slips my mind. I own several ADK's and they are way underrated IMHO.

The TT/CE is an incredible vocal mic. Its much much better than its price. It is also one of the best acoustic instrument mics I've used.

Thanks for reminding me of this nice piece. I have a project starting sometime soon and this would be a mic to have for this particular use.

You could get used one for under 800 if you're patient.

Second choice is the c414b-uls. The ADK TL, Peluso 22 251, Brauner Phantom C, and Rode NTK are a little further either because of steeper cost or lack of meeting most of my requirements.

^That was my original quote. People were suggesting the ADK TL but I was not considering it specifically for the reasons you state here:

I would take the KSM44 i used to have one and sold it to Darrin (I want one again Now) But Audio Technica AT4050 is a Great Multipattern Too,I love it.

Back