If You could only have one mic which of the following would it be?

Which mic would you choose if you could have only 1 mic and no others.

• AKG c214

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • AKG c414 (all models)

Votes: 35 38.0%
  • AKG Solid Tube

• Rode NTK

• Neumann TLM 103

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Telefunken M16 MK II

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Studio Projects T3

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Soundelux u195

• Shure KSM44

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Brauner Phantom C

• Peluso 22 251

• Total voters
Ya regarding the stereo recordings for possible overheads, etc, I was debating picking up the stereo paired c414's. Only problem with this is you would have to purchase them new to know for sure that they were properly matched and thats over 2 grand.

If its matched pairs you want...any 2 AT40 series mics will tend to be a good stereo pair...they are so close in tolerances to one another that a random two off the shelf will make a pretty nice pair of stereo mics.

I use the AT3035 mics as my stereo pair...look like the same mic on the spectrum analyser when I run pink noise through them...and I bought them as random as they can be.

I haven't sampled any AT's so I'm hesitant to jump into those until I compare them to my choices thus far. Also, I'm looking for a mic thats an overall workhorse but stands out in vocals. I continuously state that treat your advice as if only one mic could be purchased because I want to get the most useful and effective advice regarding what I am looking for. In reality, which ever mic I choose, I am going to be purchasing 2 for stereo application (though stereo application is not my primary concern). So if the AT's stand out in your oppinion because 2 randoms off the shelf will miraculously match on the spectrum (that is insane/ amazing might I add), then I would not lean towards them.

Thanks for the advice though. Thats some useful info when considering mics for stereo recording.

I haven't sampled any AT's so I'm hesitant to jump into those until I compare them to my choices thus far. Also, I'm looking for a mic thats an overall workhorse but stands out in vocals. I continuously state that treat your advice as if only one mic could be purchased because I want to get the most useful and effective advice regarding what I am looking for. In reality, which ever mic I choose, I am going to be purchasing 2 for stereo application (though stereo application is not my primary concern). So if the AT's stand out in your oppinion because 2 randoms off the shelf will miraculously match on the spectrum (that is insane/ amazing might I add), then I would not lean towards them.

Thanks for the advice though. Thats some useful info when considering mics for stereo recording.

The Japanese make the AT40 series mics...they are better at manufacturing most anything to smaller tollerences than anybody else...Id venture to guess that maybe the 20 series is farmed out to china like the cheap AKGs.

I can't believe a thread like this would overlook something like a Soundelux e49 or a Neumann M49. Probably one of the most overlooked mics of all time and one of the best mics of all time (either one). They sound great on anything! Do a Google search and you will find praise for the mics that surpasses a U47. A different beast, but with glorious sound!!

I think we've also missed the Joly modded mics. Seriously, there is no right answer here. Different voices, rooms, preamps, sources, etc. will dictate different mics and treatments.
That said, get an SM7 till you decide.........

None of the above. If I could only have one mic, I'm pretty sure it would be a vintage U67.

None of the above. If I could only have one mic, I'm pretty sure it would be a vintage U67.

I really haven't used a lot of mics, but a vintage U67 is one I've used on several albums. A friend of mine who I've put out a few CD's with has one and we always have the choice between his old U67 and my U87.
Hands down we use my U87 more. More than 10 to 1. I should say that it isn't a normal U87, it's a Stephen Paul modified one (it still has the stickers from the Record Plant NY on it!). The U67 is ultra-fantastic to record guitar tube amps and great on kick. But for most vocalists it just doesn't sound right, whereas my U87 sounds right with every vocalist so far.
The conclusion I had with that mic is that it isn't very versatile, or at least way less than my U87. But I do love the mic, it's what it is, nothing like it on tube amps. Maybe U67's vary a lot? That wouldn't surprise me.
My favorite mic is probably the KM84.

That's GOLD!!! hahah
Kenny, your answer towards the end is exactly what I am looking for. As it has been stated several times over, I understand not one mic alone is the best choice for every situation, so when you say you would pick the sm7 if you had only one mic to choose, you are answering what the question asks. Thank you.

Darrin, I am going to sample an AT tomorrow. You say the Japanese are better at manufacturing mics for small tolerance (specifically the 40 series? you mentioned the AT3035 but I believe you were just saying it was best for stereo recordings).

i'm kinda curious to know who here has enough experience with all these mics to make that kind of decision.

Ya it's really difficult to find someone who has experimented with every one of these mics and geared the testing to exactly what I am looking for. So the best thing I can do is build a montage of opinions that overlaps with these mics hoping that I could come to a positive resolve based on defeat by contest (by your opinions) or process of elimination. Hard to take some opinions considering some people are basing opinions on different preamps, sound sources, etc, but this can be done. There will be good information in this thread towards purchasing an all around workhorse mic that will focus on vocals and do a satisfying job on instrumentals (maybe not trumpet though, unless at a distance).

I can't believe a thread like this would overlook something like a Soundelux e49 or a Neumann M49. Probably one of the most overlooked mics of all time and one of the best mics of all time (either one). They sound great on anything! Do a Google search and you will find praise for the mics that surpasses a U47. A different beast, but with glorious sound!!

The neumann m49, from what i've learned from talking to people, is not worth the steep price. I couldn't put a list of every mic I wanted to compare ( in that case the list would be over 30mics), I had to narrow it down to bang for buck, but kept some of what are considered the industry standards like the u87 to compare peoples opinions of mics like the u87's to other lower costing mics like the c414 or the ksm44, to judge whether that jump in price from $1200 for a new c414, to over $3200 for a new u87 was worth it. Of course I would like to have all mics in this thread but as I said, I had to narrow it down. Everyone is still welcome to voice their appreciation and suggestions for other mics which I have not listed (it would be very much appreciated considering I may have not considered a mic altogether). So thank you.

you're gonna have a tough time finding one mic that is ideal for every application.

Not ideal, but rather sufficient. I'm looking for something that is ideal for vocals and satisfying in the instrumental category, not perfect. Many have suggested the u87 and many have suggested the ksm44. When factoring in the cost benefit of each, I would go for the ksm44 over the u87 considering I've heard both and although the u87 was better in some of the cases, the increase in quality of the u87 is not worth the steep price at least for me at this point.

Mic Suggestions Thus Far

So the microphone I am looking for needs to meet as many of the following criteria.

-I am looking for something that provides a good deal of airy quality pickup,
-something where you feel emphasized clear low frequencies and sparkling crystal clear high's with no distortion.
-I want to be able to determine and feel the differences in attacks (so I do not want something that sounds like its overly compressed),
-something that's overall a workhorse with at least satisfying results in most categories (acoustic guitar, drum overhead, mandolin, etc) focusing on detailed airy male vocals.

-I am also factoring in cost benefit analysis. So if I can get a microphone which is cheap enough to outweigh the benefits of paying more for another, then I will go for that cheaper one. (For example someone offered me an AKG solidtube for 600. Is that a cheap enough price to pick the solidtube over the c414b-uls?)

Room Sizes

small room 13x16
large room 25x30

So based on what I’ve been looking it seems like the following people are suggesting:

Big Kenny
SM7- till you decide
My Brauner Phantom C

Dintymoore
Stephen Paul modified U87
U48

DGatwood
vintage U67

PhilGood
Soundelux e49
Neumann M49

Pohaku
KSM44

Richard Monroe
KSM44 – Vocals
C414- Instrumental

Omtayslick

KSM44

Darrin_h2000

KSM44

Let me know if I am incorrect.

you're gonna have a tough time finding one mic that is ideal for every application.
that was sort of a joke.

Yes, Richie, as I mentioned in my first post I understand that just one mic is the best for every application, room type, sound source, etc.

I continuously state that treat your advice as if only one mic could be purchased because I want to get the most useful and effective advice regarding what I am looking for.

As it has been stated several times over, I understand not one mic alone is the best choice for every situation

i seriously hope that you fall in love with whatever mic you decide on based upon the recommendations in this thread. it's gonna be a disaster if you hate the thing. :p

I voted Ksm44. I also own a C414BULS and lots of other mics but the 44 is the last one I'd get rid of. It is never bad on anything and always close to best. Really good on vocals. Excellent on acoustic guitar. As good an "all arounder" as I've found.

Back