Identify this German shotgun mic

evilmonkey666

Hello, I recently salvaged this shotgun mic and am trying to find some information on it. The only identifying text on it is where it says: “MADE IN GERMANY” around the base of the handle. Other than that there is no model number or manufacturer info anywhere to be found. There is a switch which reads: “AUS” and “EIN B.TEST” (On-Off?) and a three way switch labelled: I-II-III (bass roll-off perhaps?). Any info is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P7060758_crop1.jpg
    P7060758_crop1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 65
  • P7060763.jpg
    P7060763.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 58
  • P7060767.jpg
    P7060767.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 58
  • P7060766.jpg
    P7060766.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 59
  • P7060765.jpg
    P7060765.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 58
Sometimes you have to open the microphone up to see who the manufacture was samr for the model name.

I got a so called no name microphone out of a store for cheap once and when I got out side I unscrewed it to find out it was a Sennheiser SDC.

Wait till John Willett gets a gander at it, he will probably know what it is.

Of course I do ;) - I actually answered this same question yesterday in another forum.

It's a Sennheiser K 3U (or K 30AV) with an ME 88 long-gun capsule with the supplied foam windshield missing.

The K 3U has an XLR, the K 30AV has an 8-pin Tuchel and is unbalanced (the K 30AV was designed for on-camera use).

When you switch the mic. on the red light flashes brightly to show the power is good - if it flashes dim or not at all, change the battery.

The K 3U can also be phantom powered.

The I/II/III switch is bass roll-off.

K 3U owners manual (PDF) is HERE.

ME 88 owners manual (PDF) is HERE.

I hope this answers you OK.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I followed moresound's advice and found I could unscrew the capsule. Once open I could see the sticker in the battery compartment identifying it as a Sennheiser K3-U. I just checked inside the capsule where it screws on and it is indeed an ME-88. Thanks for the links too. Cheers!

Back