Id Rather use a condenser for live playing. Can I

shootingstarno

Hello. I just starting to build a live sound pa system to play music in a band Im with now. Im noticing that when I have to sing a high note, I have to back off the mike and it seems the sm 58 type of mike IM using isnt working because of that very reason. Does anyone know whether I can go ahead and buy a Shure KSM9 condenser vocal mike and use it on stage. Will I get feedback easily. Thanks. Paul wa state.

I quite often use hand held condensers for vocalists on stage and never found a particular problem with feedback...I suppose if stage wash levels were stupidly high it might become an issue but anything that doesn't leave you deaf after the first half hour should be fine.

If I were you, I'd add the Neumann KMS104 to your shortlist--it's a huge favourite of mine for a lot of vocal styles and, and many voices, I prefer it to the KSM9. I'd also have a look at (well, listen to!) the Rode S1, another mic that can really suit some voices. It's almost good enough to make me forgive them for their stupid "Sound Booth" demo videos.

Hello. I just starting to build a live sound pa system to play music in a band Im with now. Im noticing that when I have to sing a high note, I have to back off the mike and it seems the sm 58 type of mike IM using isnt working because of that very reason..
I'd be interested to know more specifically what the problem is or a condenser might be better (assuming it's not it simple a case of a run-of the mill' vs top of the class' comparisons.
.. I'd also have a look at (well, listen to!) the Rode S1, another mic that can really suit some voices. It's almost good enough to make me forgive them for their stupid "Sound Booth" demo videos.
..note for 'to do list. :) Always up for looking at new/good solutions in a voc mic.

Im noticing that when I have to sing a high note, I have to back off the mike and it seems the sm 58 type of mike IM using isnt working because of that very reason.

What is the mike doing? When you say it is not working, what do you mean?

Having to back off on high notes is not uncommon, and you may need to do that on a condenser also.

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply to my question. I mistakenly posted another similiar thinking my posted didnt get listed. Sorry for the mistake. The replies are helpfull. Thanks again. Paul wa state.

Back