I know its been debated 1,000 times but for Rap vocals Shure 57 or 58?

Forenzikks

Real quick for rap vocals is a 57 or 58 better i ve read all the debates but never saw a straight up yes or no for which one would suit rap vocals.thanks

It's pretty much the same mic, with a different windscreen. I'd buy the 57, since it's a more versatile mic, and you'll never regret having it. Every major studio has a stash of 57's... not as many rely on 58's all the time. The sound difference for your application is negligible.

-mg

To B1 or not to B1

B1 needs phantom power. B1 wouldn't probably be the choice on stage (picks up too much other stuff). For a quiet room- yup- choice.

57- A lot of lyracists don't like it because it makes their voice sound high and tinny. Some singers like the 57 way better though. Also true it's more versatile for other stuff like drums, guitar cabs, ambient recording.

58- I think is preferred for this application because of the low frequency boost compared to the 57, and the more substantial windscreen less sybilance (or however the hell you spell that) better for beat-box for shure.

they're the same damn mic, plus or minus a bit of foam and metal mesh. 58 does not have more bass frequency boost (actually, the 57 sort of has more, because it lets you get closer). 58 with popscreen is not "by far the best choice here." they're exactly the same except for the screen.

i'd take the 57 with a proper popscreen over the 58 with its built-in one, which tends to attenuate high frequencies a bit.

The 57 and 58 are *nearly* identical, not exactly the same. Take a look at the frequency response graphs of each mic in the respective user guides.

what about the electro voice mics everyone's been raving about that are 50% cheaper than the 58/58 and sound exactly like them?

Forenzikks said:
Real quick for rap vocals is a 57 or 58 better i ve read all the debates but never saw a straight up yes or no for which one would suit rap vocals.thanks

That is because there is no straight up answer. The answer is "it depends". Try them both and use the one you think is best.

... Or just A/B them on your voice and see what you think <(c;
(some of the best mic advice I've taken here)

9/10 HipHoppers choose 58 (I just made that up)

Another thing you might consider- If you are talking about most of my drunk-ass flowin' friends, I give them the *dented up* 58. I would bet that the screen on top the 57 would break a lot easier than the 58 (which is a bulletproof mic). And- Hook up a 57, hold it tight in your hand, and shake it around, and see if that screen doesn't make some noise [clickClack]. I never liked that spinny 57 top.

A guy at my local music store was showing mics to somebody and pulled out a mic (maybe the Electrovoice?) that looked like a 58, and had a spring steel mesh top. Part of the pitch was that he bounced it off of the tile floor and it retained it's shape. It honestly sounded a little clearer than the 58 on that PA, but who knows if it would really last like one.

Re: Re: I know its been debated 1,000 times but for Rap vocals Shure 57 or 58?

DJL said:
That is because there is no straight up answer. The answer is "it depends". Try them both and use the one you think is best.

Damn DJL, you beat me to the time-honored "Try them both" by one minute!

Go for the 58. It is basically the same as the 57 but more durable due to the ball. You can always remove the ball for recording. You can get right on the mic with your mouth and it won't hurt it. You do that with a 57 and you'll get pops. I own both and for screeming into a mic the 58 wins hands down IMHO.

Blessings, Terry

DKMurphPr said:
The 57 and 58 are *nearly* identical, not exactly the same. Take a look at the frequency response graphs of each mic in the respective user guides.

Again, that small difference is due only to the foam and ball windscreen of the 58, which attenuates some frequencies. Take it off, and it's the same mic.

And when we are done bickering over while its the same mic with or without the popscreen or not. You are leaving out that the lack of a popscreen is exactly the reason why a 57 will give you headaches in that situation.

the 58 will cut down on the many pops and also you can change the ball end cheaply if a client gets a beer smell or germs on the thing. The 57 does what it does well but leave the singing to the 58.

i disagree. 58 is a great quick'n'dirty live vocal mic, but the foam cuts down the high frequency response noticeably. i prefer a 57 with an external pop filter (nylons or whatever) over the 58 alone.

Re: Re: Re: I know its been debated 1,000 times but for Rap vocals Shure 57 or 58?

coloradojay said:
Damn DJL, you beat me to the time-honored "Try them both" by one minute!

Sorry about that. lol. Too bad their not listening to us.

Forenzikks, you never said if the mic will be used for recording vocals or live.. if recording i'd pick a B1 over the sm's if you have a console or pre with phantom power.

none of my artist like the sound of the sm57 or 58.. the beta58 isn't bad but it cost much more..

bleyrad i disagree. 58 is a great quick'n'dirty live vocal mic, but the foam cuts down the high frequency response noticeably. i prefer a 57 with an external pop filter (nylons or whatever) over the 58 alone.
Were talking about rap vocals, you are concerned so much with losing high end, and 99% of the time the vocal is a monotone without falsetto, and extra high end will make it more harsh even if its needed. Besides you can purchse extra balls for the mic and remove the foam effectively giving it the same response.

Rap vocalists also tend to get thier lips on the mics so a ball end will be a little less gross, and the 57 will be honky with a vocal that close.

My god this thread has got to be one of the worst I have ever seen.

Sm57 sm58 for Rap vocal? give me a break does it really matter?

Rap Vocal 1 is there such a thing ? be honest now

and 2 Its Rap Does it even matter?

I cant even believe i have wasted this much time of my life for this
thread.

Back