I have an AMT M40, should I but a Rode NTK or 2 Rode NT5's?

yamsaretasty

I am new to the business of recording. I am a pianist and I want to record myself. I have done a bit of research and decided on an AMT M40 Piano microphone and a PreSonus Firestudio Project as a preamp. As this has 8 preamps I can get (realistically) as many mics as I want.

I am looking for a second mic to go with the M40. I have been recommended a groove tubes GT-66 or a Rode NTK, or a pair of Rode NT5's. Groove Tubes mics are not sold in New Zealand, and I can't find any on amazon either. There is one on ebay but I'm not sure if I can even get that shipped to New Zealand.

Should I buy the more expensive NTK, and have 2 mics, or buy the cheaper NT5's and have 3?

(The NTK costs around the same as the M40, whereas the two NT5's together still seem to be cheaper)

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated

argh how do I edit the thread title. I hate people who do stupid typo's like 'which one should I but' instead of buy. Hypocrisy!

Thanks moresound, I have read that thread actually, while waiting for someone to reply here. My main question now, is, would I still get a good result with an NT5 as with an NTK? The NTK is more than double the price of an NT5... and the AMT M40 is of similar price to the NTK.

argh how do I edit the thread title. I hate people who do stupid typo's like 'which one should I but' instead of buy. Hypocrisy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks moresound, I have read that thread actually, while waiting for someone to reply here. My main question now, is, would I still get a good result with an NT5 as with an NTK? The NTK is more than double the price of an NT5... and the AMT M40 is of similar price to the NTK.

:D Just prof red everyhing you rite! ;) For spel chec dosent work in thred titel! :laughings:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well price for the most part doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be the right choice for capturing a source. Especially complex instruments such as a piano.

Personally, I would prefer the NT5's, regardless of the price. Pianos are famous for fast transients, but like acoustic guitar, have been successfully recorded with both large and small diaphragm mics. However, the piano is a big target, even a console or spinet, let alone a grand. Two more or less matched mics increases your options for stereo recording compared to 2 mismatched mics, or any one mic. The NTK is good on some vocals and is a favorite of many for acoustic guitar. For piano, I'd take the pair in a heartbeat.-Richie

I use NT5s on guitar and drums. Love NTK on vocals and guitar too. For piano I'd imagine the nt5s would be better, but they will not be great for vocals.

I'd +1 on Rode NT-5 pair - or better, go for Rode NT-55 matched pair set.

I have Rode NT-55 matched pair (with both cardioid and omni heads), and am learning to record the Steinway model D before my next recital soon - for the size of the mics and price, I'd say the piano sounds remarkably faithful all the way to the bottom A (recorded on Zoom H4n plus Focusrite Octopre MKII preamp)...

Back