I have almost every mic and I am tracking drums

Cool,

Great info. thanks for all the help. Yes I will be able to use the SSL's compressor and I will check tommorow if we have any Bear mics available.

Thanks Again!!

If you use the 87's for overheads, I agree the 414 (padded and bass cut) on snare rocks. I use the 414 on top, and SM7 on the bottom, phase reversed.. If I had the Sennheisers (421 or 441), I'd use them or a Beyerdynamic. I've got a few mics, but there are quite a few I'm not yet lucky enough to own, so I have to make do.-Richie

cavedog - Yah i know that sound you are talking about now that you explain it. I guess i just dont like that much air in my overheads but it could definately work in certain cituations. Im using olderl U87is myself. I usually prefer the Soundelux U95 over the U87 but what i like is the trust that you can pretty much put a U87 on any voice and have it sound good.

The 414 idea on the snare is good, but be VERY careful. Last time i through one close mic'd on a drum for a test, the drummer ended up hitting it on the first test take even after i specifically told him to make sure he never hits it. Well, it doesnt work now :(. So i guess i learned my lesson.

I still stick with the good old 57 on the top of the snare especially using the SSL pres. But thats just me. What might really make a bigger difference in my opinion is micing the bottom if your not getting enough snare sound.

I dont think there is too much more we can tell you. Everything is going to depend on the situation and the style of the band. It definately helps when you already have a general idea yourself on how each mic sounds on what so you can just hear it in your head, grab it and go for it.

Good luck again.

Danny

Back