Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I have almost every mic and I am tracking drums

sk8ingsnowman is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

I have almost every mic and I am tracking drums

Sign in to disable this ad
    I get the oppritunity to track a band and I have just about every mic at my disposal.
    Its for a school project and we have a huge mic locker. This is what I was thinking about, let me know what you think. (I don't know what type of music yet so this could all change?!?)

Kick- EV RE20 (other options Beta 52,
    D112, MD421 or Senn. E602)
    6 feet in front of kick-TLM170
    Snare- SM57 or Beta 57 I have to wait till I hear the snare first.
    Toms-Senn. 504's
    Hat- AKG 4041
    Floor Tom-MD421
    Over heads- XY U87's

I am not used to hvaing options wo let me know if something looks funny.

Peace

Mark7 is offline Why 2K?
    Thanks
    Nice list.

Are you tracking everything in isolation? If I were you you I'd at least track the rhythm section (bass, guitar and drums) as a unit in order to enable them to play off of one another (I guess you can either run the bass and the guitar direct and re amp later, or try to isolate the cabs from the drums and mic them up with whatever you didn't use on the kit).

Oh, and everyone will be properly tuned, intonated and rehearsed before you roll whatever it is you'll be rolling.... right?
    Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital recording is a pretty neat idea.

nascentjunkie is offline I am the great cornholio!
    Thanks

where is this school??

what kinda school is this?? is this highschool or a college or what?? and how did they get the money to buy all these mics? i mean holy shit. Those neumanns aren't cheap, ha. But yeah that sounds decent. I dont' normally use a ev for the kick though... i think the 52 or a d112 would get better results. I just dont' like how the ev sounds i guess. I do have a set of speakers mains that kick ass by them though... Ok, back to the drums. Well... a suggestion might be to use 421's on all the toms. I normally do when i record in the studio and really like the sound. They are great mics. Oh and before i forget, i like how you are using 2 kick mics, one in and one out. I do that too and have gotten great results. I believe the u87's will do fine as your overhead/cymbals, considering they are kick ass mics. Never actually used em before on overheads, but i'm sure they would sound great. Normally i am brought down to an akg c3000, but they do the job. Sound pretty good too. I won't argue with anything else your doing, that is a wise choice, but i might suggest, if you have all these mics at your disposal and probably have close to unlimited tracks, that you use some room mics as well. A pair of stereo u87's, or bascialy some high quality condenser mic. might give you some intersting sound and make the kit seem more alive. Plus, if you dont' like it in there, then you can just take it out. The only draw back would be if you using tape, but fuck it, just do it. Well sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck and happy tracking.

~Andrew

ChristopherDawn is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks

Re: where is this school??

Originally posted by nascentjunkie
    what kinda school is this?? is this highschool or a college or what?? and how did they get the money to buy all these mics?
    Do you have any idea how much those schools charge?

Thanks

Re: Re: where is this school??

Originally posted by ChristopherDawn
    Do you have any idea how much those schools charge?

Unfortunately I do...anyways I don't want to think about that..

good call on the 421's for toms I was messing around with those on toms today and they are nice. 504's seem too bright. I just have to wait and hear the drummers kick before I am going to decide on a mic. I have never heard u87's as overheads but I think they should sound good. I would like to put up some room mics but we are tracking to 2 inch tape then transferring to pro tools then mixing on a Sony DXM-1100? (I can never remember the model number of it but that should be close) which is only set up for 24 tracks. This kind of sounds weird considering we are tracking on a SSL900J but itís more about curriculum rather then making a hit record.

Anyone have any tricks?? There is a contest to see which group gets the best finished mix.

CanopuS is offline Amateur music since 1847
    Thanks
    Depending on the music I might be tempted to stick a couple of mics for "room" micing. I have no experience, but any decent mic would do the job here.
    People these days wont take responsiblity for anything, but don't quote me on that.

Richard Monroe is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    Personally, I'd be using the MD421 on snare before either of the 57's, but that's just me. A pair of U87's for overheads? Rich SOB's! Christ, I wouldn't let two 87's get within 5 feet of a man with a stick in his hand! I can only dream of mic'ing a kit with mics like that.-Richie

Thanks
    MD421 on snare never really thought to try that I will throw it up and see how it sounds, thanks.

darnold is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks

Cool

Do you have other mics at your disposal also? Not that those arnt great mics but if you have other options let us know. The reason is because i dont generally like U87s. Guess it might depend on the style of music. My favorites at the moment for overheads are the AKG C414s.

I never really liked the EV RE20 on kick drum either. Its usually a toss up between my e602 or MD421. Definately try a MD421 before the AKG D112. I bet you will like it better. MD421 works really good if you want a really tight sounding kick. This includes the bass frequencies. The e602 will be a better choice for a big bottom kick. Both of these mics EQ really well if you need to shape a little.

Never used the beta57 on snare before. Do you know what style the music is going to be? Dont forget to use a bottom mic if its a heavy drummer.

Good luck.

Danny

Thanks
    Yes, I do have plenty of other options. I can also get 414's for overheads. Never used 414's before But I hear they are Brighter then the U87's is this true?

Not 100% on what style yet just trying to get a strating point then I can make changes on the fly if neccesary. Don't think I will be recording jazz or anything that will completely change the mic selection.

I am enjoying all the comments feedback and tips. Thanks!

the session is still a week away but I will be sure to posts the results when finished.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information