How to Try B4 Buy? (@ the store)

Booda

Master of the Obvious
How does anyone go about trying out a Mic to see if it "suits" your voice.

You just can't do it at the music store... or can you?
(Of course there is the obvious 30 day $$$ back situations, or borrow a friends... so that's been covered)

It's the same with Amps, Cymbals, ect... you just don't know untill you get it in your own enviornment.

I'm trying to decide between a better vocal mic, Tube Pre-amp or both. Obviously both would be best.

The one time I did A/B tests. All they (GCenter) could offer is a Mixing board and some head phones and we talked & sang into a dozen Mics live. All we could tell was the TLM103 had more low and smoother upper than my buddies SP C1.
But as far as what Mic brings out or tones down certain frequencys in a voice was pretty hard to tell.

I've thought about bringing my PC down there and laying down some tracks but that's a lot to ask.

Thanks,
B.

Last edited:
I believe in Texas, you cant return mics once you have bought them, your doubly screwed. IF you buy a mic you dont like, ebay it and you will probably get most of your money back anyway.

I think that the best way to do it is to find a good online retailer, with a good return policy (including mics), and buy 2-3 of them, with the intention of returning the ones you like least. I believe that www.sweetwater.com will allow this, but double-check with them.

You're absolutely right that the best way to find out if something is going to sound good for your application is to use it in your application. If you can borrow gear, Great! Otherwise, you need to rely on return policies.

-mg

I guess there is just no way.

Pretty dumb question anyway. I've been coming here & reading for over a year, the first time I feel like I need to ask a question it's... well... enough said. I hope you don't ban me.

At least I'm registered now & will hopefull be able to add to some of the discussions.

take care,
B.

well, the line them up and listen in the phones is a better test that people think. your short term memory will tell you what's best. my guitar center tells me that if i come down on a slow day that we can take whatever mics i'm interested in into the room they have there and record some tracks to see what i like. just ask at the store if they'll do something like that for you.

steve, mojo pie
www.piemusic.com

booda,

like many others, for some reason you ask a question about where you can try out mics without giving any information as to where you are located. this makes it difficult for those of us who may be in your area and may know someone that could help you.

you may want to fill in the location in your profile so we at least have a general idea of what part of the world you are in. don't worry, we won't all just show up at your house unannounced.

hello people... does anyone live near Los Angeles in CALIFORNIA... because that's where I am located and I need to find a store to test mics also. But i am totally new to this so idont know where to go. thanks alot

Back