How to properly use an MXR Dynacomp Pedal with a USB mixer and condenser mic?

DonnyTen

Hello.

I want to experiment a little hear and see how pedal compression sounds on vocals. In fact I have already tried this but was not satisifed with the results. I will explain.

I have an MXl 990 Condenser Microphone, an Alesis Multimix 4 USB interface, and MXR Dynacomp Pedal Compressor, and an inline transformer.

Upon my first go, I used a standalone rolls phantom power unit to power the microphone, then i sent the XLR output into an impedance transformer adapter ( XLR- 1/4") which went into the pedals input, then from the pedal into the GTR/Line in slot of my mixer. The result was ok but I noticed harsh distortion when I would say words like " Wall, or War, All". the monitered and recorded signal only tends to sound distorted if I sound above normal speaking volume.

So, I am trying to figure out where the distortion is coming from. Is the the rolls phantom power giving too much juice to the mic clipping the input on the pedal? is it the inline transformer boosting an already clipped signal or maximizing the singal to the point where it distorts?

I want to eliminate the rolls phantom power unit as well as the inlien transformer if I can, in hopes that I can still achieve what I want.

I am going to see if I can get it to work by running the mic straight into the mixer( where I have better control over the volume), then from the mixer ( main out) into the pedals input, then from the pedal into my computers onboard soundcard ( i know its not the best thing to do, just want to see if I still get the distortion)

The reason I'm running the pedal into the onboard is because I dont want to run into any coupling/ feedback issues by taking the pedals out and patching it back into the mixer.

I will be away from my setup for some time and just want some ideas and feedback on this post.

Thanks

The normal way to do this kind of thing is to use an auxiliary send and return, or a channel insert on your mixer.

Cheers
Stewart

musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-multimix-4-usb-compact-mixer

That's my mixer.. I don't think it has what you say, does it?

Since the pedal has fixed input and out put gains try the mic> transformer> mixer (with the mixer set the same.
If it's clean, and passes the same volume, you know it's the MXR that's distorting.
If the level is lower (w/o the MXR) or still distorted it could be you are clipping at the mixer.
Troubleshooting is always eliminate and control the variables -- Sort' of a dived and conquer' thing

..oops. Some ..hell lots of condenser mics can put out close to line level.
I bet you are going to have to attenuate going into that guitar pedal.

Back