How necessary is a cloud lifter?

26en26en

was considering to buy a Rode Procaster with an audio interface to use in my setup, and I've noticed that it suffers the same problem, albeit to a lesser extent, as the Shure SM7B being that the audio interface doesn't provide them enough gain. I see people recommend picking up something like a Cloudlifter which gives the mic a clean gain boost, but I can't really afford it at the moment since I'll have to import it which is very expensive. Can anybody who has an experience with this, tell me how bad the noise is and if it is manageable. Also, how much gain would be ideal or sufficient for the Procaster, I am currently looking at the Presonus AudioBox 22VSL since the specs states that it has max gain of 65dB, which is the highest I could find form an interface around that price range.

The Rode Procaster appears to have a sensitivity of 1.6mv/PA, which the same as an SM57, so not quite as bad as the SM7b at 1.12mv/PA. The Cloudlifter or a similar device such as the Fethead would certainly give a boost of the signal and reduce the need for the interface gain to be set at max. I would give the mic a try with your interface and see how it works. Much depends on the interface and the preamps it has on the front end and whether they have good clean gain.

I tried using dynamic mics without a Cloudlifter, but never was comfortable with having the mic gain pegged at max on my interface.

You can really just use any mic preamp you can get your hands on to boost the signal. Even a little cheap mixer will work.

The cloudlifter is cool because it is small and works very well for this specific purpose, but it is relatively high end (for what it is), so it is expensive.

Back