How many types of Rode nt5 are there? Could this be a counterfeit microphone?

Schubird

|==========Irrelevant background==========|
So really funny story,

I was on offer-up when I saw some lady post a rode nt5 on 15 dollars. I couldn't believe it, 15 dollars of an nt5? But then a bunch of red flags hit me.

1. 15 dollars for a regularly 120 (used) microphone.
2. It was only one and they typically sell in pairs
3. The only other thing this lady was selling was used clothing

So I did my research, messaged the lady, traced back her phone number, turns out she is a prostitute. Figured, okay, she probably took it as a memento from her one of her clients. Anyways, she doesn't text me back till around sundown, tells me to visit her in a city 45 minutes across the county. Googled the area, shady as heck but still went for it, for 20 bucks you can't get swindled that badly.

I show up, the area is shady than I expected. No street lights, only dirt roads, everyone drives an old pick up truck, and this is San Diego, not some city in the southern states.

I call the lady and she walks out of her property and it hits me. Her teeth looked like Perses had a field day in her mouth. She looked severely underweight, and the first thing she said when she walked out was "show me the money"

It hit me, she's a junkie willing to sell anything to get her next score. I look at the mic, the only thing I looked for were obvious signs of damage. I gave her the 20 and went on my way.

|====================Relevant Microphone Question====================|

I now have a rode nt5 that doesn't look like the current model of NT5. The serial number was smudged off, either because its counterfeit or because its stolen, or maybe it just wore off over time, who knows.

However after google searching photos of this microphone, I was able to find photos of models that matched the one I currently hold, and it looks exactly like this.

I don't have an XLR on me as I'm staying with family for the night since I drove a bit too much for comfort today.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge on counterfeit nt5s, how to identify if it is real without the serial number, and or theories, I love theories.

Anyways, thanks for reading!

I reckon it's real enough.

Early NT5 mikes had serial numbers on strips that either came off or wore off pretty quickly.

You can buy new NT5 mikes singly or as a matched pair

Back