how important are silica gel pouches

dragnalus

when i received my most recent condensor microphone (rode nt1000), it came with a silica gel pouch in the carrying case which i immediately lost. i read in the manual that this is used to absorb moisture that may have developed on the capsule as a result of spitty singing/humidity etc. I was just wondering how important it is that i have one of these things with all my condensor mics at all times. i mean, is it like cleaning the tape path after each use or more along the lines of an occasional precautionary measure? thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, the silica gel packet is only there to absorb moisture that may develop when the mic's are shipped out to various locations around the world, which sometimes results in severe climate changes from one part of the world to another.... causing moisture or condensation to develop.
You don't really need the silica gel packet once you've received the mic, but it doesn't hurt to keep it stored with the packet anyway.

Just don't eat it! :D

Very important! Without them your speed can go all gloppy. So unless you're doing it all as soon as you get it...
-kent

I don't forsee a problem with humidity, as long as you don't keep the mic in the fridge and take it out when you're going to record. :D

Didn't the NT1000 come with a zipper-pouch?
I keep my NTK in it's original plastic bag and then place it in the zipper-pouch that came with the mic.

Buck62 said:
I don't forsee a problem with humidity, as long as you don't keep the mic in the fridge and take it out when you're going to record. :D

Uh-Oh!;)

heylow

BTW....I do the same as Buck AND I keep the silica gel bag in there as well. I also live in WI and it DOES get pretty humid. May be overkill but for me and a 500 dollar mic, overkill is better than microphone kill.:D

in order for the silica-packet to remain effective, you need to occasionally place it in the oven ~180ºF (82ºC) to remove the moisture. otherwise, it's of little value...

From the Rode Manual for NT2 (not NT1000) but similar I guess...

And I quote:

"After use...be sure to place the moisture absorbent crystals (white pouch) at the head end of the mic. The crystals will absorb any moisture present. Eventually this pack needs to be dried out. When the crystals have turned pink, the pack should be placed in an oven set to between 100 to 150 degrees C. They will be activated when they turn blue."

So there you go.

Just go to a sports shop and ask if they got any pouches laying about from their trainer boxes.

Cheers,
Rich.

I bought a big silicon crystal pack made for gun cabinits.
It stays in the box with the mic.
Mabey overkill,but it sure can't hurt!

Best to you,
Pete

Back