How important is humidity for mics?

William Choi

I just got the rode nt1. Sounds awesome.
But i have a question about the humidity factor. It says you must put the mic away everytime you're not using it and maintain the dryness with the crystal package.

How important is humidity? Has anyone experience deterioration of sound quality if you have been re-cooking the crystal pack to keep it dry?
My basement is pretty cool(temperature wise) and I could also turn on a a dehumidifier("de-icer" its called). It sucks in air from the back and it blows out air from the front while it accumulates water at the back grill thingy(where air gets sucked in).

Does anyone actually puts their mics away when their not using it?

I don't put mine back in the box. It's too bothersome to deal with the shock mounts and all.
I use felt bags with drawstrings on them. The kind that come with Crown Royal Whiskey. Just cover the mic and leave on the stand. I haven't put a crystal pack inside but I guess it might be a good idea.

I put everything away when I'm done a session, but that's a function of not being able to record very often. I try to disrupt my family as little as possible, so I usually only do vocals or guitars when my wife and son aren't home. I record the drum machine and occassional keys whenever I can. My wife will take my son out for the day once in a while on a weekend so I can work on material with a friend of mine and that's when I do the most work.

If I was able to arrange time more often I'd probably get a lot lazier - and ask the same question you did.

Back