How good is this mic?

Anticleon

According to the specs do you think this mic would be good for Youtube recording please? I know there's not many people who have used this mic on this forum but can someone please give me an idea about what I can do with this mic. Thanks a lot.
Ahuja Sound Solutions
Also, if I use an adapter can I use this mic straight on the laptop please? (My laptop is Acer Aspire E15-571G) Realtek High Definition Audio, and Nvidea geforce 840m graphics.
These questions may look stupid but I do not have much knowledge about them honestly.

Hi Anticleon,
I'm be skeptical about any cheap hand held dynamic microphone, particularly in combination with a laptop's built in sound card.
Best case scenario the signal is likely to be a lot lower than you'd like and, worst case, it could be hissy or other noises might be present.

You're fighting a combination of low output microphone, low quality preamplifier, unbalanced audio (susceptible to interference), and close proximity to the other computer components.

Even if you stick with the same mic I'd look at getting a dedicated audio interface with decent preamps built in or, alternatively, a USB microphone with good reputation.
I'd only consider the latter if your intended use is single voice only.

Steenmaroo thanks a lot. This mic is just 10 USD and that's why i'm tempted to buy it. But as you say if I cannot use it then the best thing is to look for another alternative. I doubt I can find a good quality USB mic for 10 USD though. Maybe I should buy a cheap preamp too.

Without additional gear a preamp on its own is of limited use to you.
It'd probably help, sure, but it'd still be going through the built in audio with the same drawbacks as mentioned.
Using an audio interface or USB microphone would replace the entire signal path, taking built in soundcard out of the loop.

It all depends on expectations, I suppose. Your microphone will *work* as you describe. Whether you're happy with how it works is a different story. ;)

Any small interface with mic preamp and balanced input (like that ^^) should be much better than direct into laptop,
but I have no direct experience with that particular model.

Hopefully someone else here will; Stick around. ;)

Back