How does my voice sound on my set up?

Girl Punk

I know everyone has a preference for a mic and pre so I don't want to get prejudged by my set up but just want to know if what I have is doing my voice justice. Take a listen see if you hear something that can be improved and ill post my set up. Been listening to my voice for too long so need some fresh ears to see if my set up is doing me justice.

Here are a few clips:

Thanks guys!

Not bad. In fact pretty darn good. Did you do that all by yourself?

You might want to post something lie this in the MP3 clinic here to get more of a response to such matters along with how the arrangement and mixing may be approved on. Plus individual instrumentation was captured and how those aspects can be altered if needed.

As for the sound of what your achieving with your mysterious set up with in the vocal tracks ( don't be ashamed for if you told us you did this with either a USB microphone or $19. microphone through a sub $100. preamp/converter we would say *You go girl* kickbutt sounds out of minimal equipment)
They seem distant - may need to just be brought up in the mix or get some more breath into it - but that is possible what your going for there. Kinda Blondie type vocals.

Sounds good and you know it? In need of a compliment? :P

I really like the way you arranged that first song, with the timpani and all. But I think that two chord song structure (Am / Dm is it?) is a bit easy, try to open it up with, like, a D#m (with open d string, so D#m7M) on every second bar of every second Dm progression, if you want of course. The "Darkness" opening line is a bit tacky, even for an old Goth like me.

Judging from the other clips your going for a Symphonic Metal type of thing, and I thought you were a punk girl ;)

Well that was pretty awesome. I agree with what the other guys said :) Checked out your band too...pretty tasty stuff.

Sorry just got back from work. I wasn't trying to fish for compliments or anything like that, I worked hard on my voice and I just wanted to get some feedback on how it sounds through my equipment.
And sorry I can't blow anyone's mind and tell you that I did this with some radio shack mic. I used a great river pre and a sure sm27. I am confident in the pre but reading about mics thats where my confidence gets shaky especially when I have to record and send out my own tracks.

I only did the vocals but did not mix or have any part of the music production. I gave my input to the guy about how I wanted my tracks arranged as far as layering and whisper tracks and such. As far as the effects, go just some light reverb and no autotune or pitch correction. The rest of the album is some pretty crazy death metal stuff but the orchestration is very nice :) But its not my band I was just a singer for hire, I haven't looked at the site, not even sure if the guy credited me correctly because I replaced another singer.

Chrisghost, From what I understand those songs were originally put out 15 years ago and this was some sort of re-release?, eh im babbling to much about stuff I don't know :)

But back to the mic choice!, I know there is always a better choice out there and If I put the cash on a great river pre maybe the mic I have is weak? This is where I have no knowledge, can you match a voice to a mic or is it just about getting a good mic no matter what the voice? ah im getting frustrated! :)

$19. radio shack microphone is what you need. :D

Kidding aside --- What else have you used in the past that you have liked?

Unfortunately I never took mind to notice :( Tried to go to samash but everyone there was pretty useless and had nothing set up to try. The one guys advice was higher the price the better the mic.

Well I was turned on to a great microphone and has turned out to be a great little microphone secret weapon with female vocals. The AKG 2000B. But one can never tell about a microphone until one tries it out and records with it.

Back