How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're still reading...

Harvey (and everyone else),
I found this post about a year ago and decided to come back and see if it was still alive. Looks like mine is the first post for this year but I am amazed to see how many years this thread has been going.

Your knowledge and experience will transcend the ages, thank you.

Happy Birthday Harvey! You might be 71, but you don't look a day over 67!!! :D

Also, since I'm on EDT, happy birthday Dragon! You don't look a day over however many years you are minus four!!!

Ausrock, I've tried to get the word document that you link, but when I go to the site and click on the download word document "Harvey's big mic thread" it takes me to this random site:
http://www.artistcollaboration.com/ no word document here that I can find. Am I missing a key step? I would really like to get a copy of that thread without all the chit chat and filler.

Harvey thanks for the link, but once again, I get nothing when I click on it. Just a blank white page.

Broken version of the Acrobat Plugin? Try right clicking (or control-click if you have a Mac with a single-button mouse) and saving it to disk and double-clicking the resulting file.

Dude>...read

this information is EVERYWHERE....Wikipedia.org can give you WAY more information then ANY of us can type in 10 minutes.

you might need a variety of response pattern mics...based on the sound you want to get...or you MIGHT only need one good omni....

but what you will ALWAYS need...is to be informed.

buy the books....subscribe to mix....READ it.....the informatoin is there...and it makes more sense as you experiment and apply what you learn.

why mic's are all different is NOT a quick or simple topic.

Or perhaps just the last page .....also ROFL.

And there you have it Harvey .... all your many years of experience and acquired wisdom have just been replaced by a few paragraphs in
Wikipedia ....... hmmmmm somehow I don't think the mics are quite going to behave quite as set out in computergeekland.

happy recording Issofunky

Awesome thread!!!

Harvey, It has been a joy reading this thread. I started a couple weeks back, read a few pages at a time, learned a TON. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Harvey, It has been a joy reading this thread. I started a couple weeks back, read a few pages at a time, learned a TON. Thanks for your time and knowledge.
You might also enjoy the other sticky about "Better and Best Microphones", too.
It takes a big turn around post 17 and gets into a really good discussion about mixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back