how do you remove the grille on an sm57?

It's a pain in the ass, and potentially harmful. I'm sure there is an official way to do it, but I don't know it. Unless you need to replace it, there is no reason to remove the grille anyway.

It's held on by a compression spring. Take the sticker off the grille. It's at the bottom. You can see two holes in the cap. You can see the spring through the holes. Pushing the spring inwards through both holes allows you to lift the grille off. If you force the grille up, though, most likely the spring will come with it and will shred the diaphragm. Then you can send it off to Shure and for $50 plus shipping they will fix it for you in three to five weeks.

Good luck!! :)

Rocket Boy said:
yeah... how do you do that?

i know im a bit late but jus found this post

ive have a document from 1978 showing u how to do it, i got it from shure wahen i interviewed them about the SM57... i dont have a scanner otherwise i would send it to you... if you can be bothered, ask them for one.its called the
DATA SHEET - replacement parts kit for sm56/57&58

sheet is dated 1978, shure brothers inc.

ask them to make a copy for you..

Tom.

KEVIN1600 said:
I got mine of how do you get it on
Go to the Shure website, then go to their "Knowledge Base". Click on "Wired Mikes" and "SM Series". Type in "SM57 Grille Replacement". Dowload the PDF page. Complete with detailed pictures.

Wish I woulda saw this post last night....

I hit my 57 with my stick and the cap popped off...Mic still worked.

I put the spring in the cap first and tried to get it back on the body of the mic-WRONG MOVE!

Tore the diaphram off. :mad:

Well I figured out that you have to hold the ring around the body first -then pop the cap on.

Good thing GC is open till 10pm. Now I can send my mic off to Shure and have a back-up 57 for $50.00

Whatta looser.

Blah.

Unlucky man, sorry to hear that. Think I'll stop playing with the top of my 545 now in case I shred the top!!

Back