How to best use MD 421-II

Are celerons defective pentiums? There's a truth in that if Johnny's right, but it's misleading.

There is an element of truth, but the original claim is incorrect and, as you say, is very misleading. It seems to me that Mr. Sects just enjoys making damning statements.

I don't question your credentials. I question your claims.

Do radio shack make clones of Sennheiser, or are the all made by the same company? You've said both.
Can people hear volume changes of less than 3db. According to you they can't but then it changed to 'the average person'.
Is a beta 52 really THE SAME mic as a 57? I didn't touch that, but I'd be surprised. Even if it's based around the same capsule, it's irrelevant info. They aren't going to be interchangeable due to the design. That's the point; That's why they have different names.
Are celerons defective pentiums? There's a truth in that if Johnny's right, but it's misleading.

That's just today.
I've told no lies. But you are unable or unwilling to source it. So its you not me... I gave you the sources, I've told you the game, business wants to increase yield the make thousands of processors on one sheet of silicon, Doesn't take a genius to figure some are broken. How do they make money? They lock out the bad processors so it does not have errors? YES, THEY CAN DO IT. You need computer knowledge to survive... Replying to me just shows your lack of knowledge. Don't be afraid, I'm happy to hep!!!!

AARON WATSON BAND, FOR SENN/SHACK MIKES. aLSO, bELLAMY BROTHERS.... yES THEY ARE SWEATY MOFOS...

Last edited:
Yup you failed. Now you see your flaw, its commendable.. You'd be the first on this forum. They are selling broken chips... The facts are in this guys face and he's playing this game, the well uh, well uh game...

Not according to this: -

Celeron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They can probably be described as cut down versions of their Pentium siblings (the first being Pentium II without a L2 cache). A defective Pentium would just not work.

How to neg rep, for say what I said... Its really broken, if they want four core and the wafer only does 2 core the wafer is defective... You can't win this argument. How many way do I translate broken!

I said your statement is misleading and I stand by it.

If someone buys a celeron chip and I say I can tell them for fact that it's defective. What will they assume?
Will I feel good technically winning the argument?

Your statement was misleading.

My 'argument' is that you're one of those guys who goes around presenting 'facts' that just aren't.....In my opinion, of course. ;)

Last edited:
This thread has really de-railed but I'm just here to spread some love for the 421! In your position I would definitely use it on kick drum. Its definitely a step above the radio shack mic. Its also my favorite vocal mic for the singer in my band. Its also nice on guitar and bass amps, toms, and many other things I haven't event tried:D.

Oh and congrats on winning it! When did they contact you to tell you you won? I signed up for mic month every day and I would love a quality LDC or ribbon mic:p

This thread has really de-railed but I'm just here to spread some love for the 421! In your position I would definitely use it on kick drum

I always forget about using it on kick. Every time i've tried it i've been impressed, but for some reason it never sticks in my brain and i somehow end up back with a D112 and sE Titan combo :facepalm: Note to self; use 421 on kick more.

And yeah, it's wicked on bass amps as well :) In fact, it's just ace in general! The only thing i've never been sold on is using it on snare. I've tried it a handful of times and have always ended up with a SM57 instead. the 57 just seems to have more punch ime.

At one time I owned 4 of them, they sounded great but too big and fragile for my application. Switched to EV 308's which IMO sound just as good on horns and are far cheaper, easier to position and quite durable. Still a free 421.........hell yes!!

The D112 is an AKG mic, affectionately known as the "egg". AKG have recently released an update of the original D12 - haven't used one yet but the original was far superior on kick than the egg in my opinion (I own a D112, and I often find myself rolling off at about 1.6 - 2kHz when I use it). My favourite "kick" mic is the EV RE20, which is not a kick mic at all - it was designed as a radio announcers mic. One mic that we used to see in kick drums a lot was the Beyer M88, designed as a stage vocal mic - I never liked this mic for either application and always replaced it with one of my own on walk ins. Thankfully, you hardly ever see them anymore. I'm not trying to start a fight here, and I know many engineers that still like the M88 - each to his or her own.
To return to the original post, the MD 421 used to be used a lot on toms in the 70's and 80's, but they are out of fashion in this application these days in favour of less unwieldy mics - the 421 is HUGE! I still like them on toms though, and as Richard Monroe said above, they are a great sax mic. Also mentioned above (by Steenamaroo), great on guitar cabs especially when used in tandem with a 57 - you often see this mic combination in gtr amp modelling software like NI Guitar Rig. I wouldn't worry about the low end roll-off: a friend of mine thought his 421 was damaged until I switched the roll-off out for him. 421's aren't the worst kick mic in the world, but that roll-off has got to be out. All up , the 421 is a great dynamic mic for detail in mid-range frequencies.
It strikes me that I haven't said anything here that hasn't already been mentioned, so I will: Fellow Aussies who are old enough will remember the day when Prime Minister Gough Whitlam was dismissed from office, standing on the steps of Parliament speaking into the original version of the 421 (this one was beige, not black): "Well may we say God save the queen, for nothing will save the Governor General"...
Cheers,
brento

Back