high quality condenser mic?

swcook0430

Hey everyone,

I've been using one sm57 for a while. It gets the job done right. Although, I would like the versatility of a condenser mic. Is there a solid condenser out there with quality, reputation, and price comparable to the sm57 or sm58?

Thanks!

I was looking for reliable and experienced users to share their opinions on good condenser mics, not a smart ass loser who decided to go out of his way to be rude.

To be fair it's probably the most asked question on any audio forum on the internet.
Still, look at the rode nt1a, studio projects b1, oktava mk219 (used), and MXL microphones.

I highlighted the oktava because it's a great mic. Buy two. ;)

I was looking for reliable and experienced users to share their opinions on good condenser mics, not a smart ass loser who decided to go out of his way to be rude.

You ask a question that has a 1000 answers and you then call a guy with over 9000 posts that he is a loser :facepalm:

At the risk of also being called a loser here is a list of some mics to look at, I own all of them (amongst some more expensive models) and they will all do the job, but now it comes down to personal choice:

Rode NT1
MXL V67
Audio Technica AT202O
AKG C2000

Alan

What IDO posted was spot on and should get you going in the right direction. The problem with asking which mic is everyone's experience is a little different. I like a vocal mic that is a little dark. Others might like a mic that has a nice mid peak or a bit bright. It's a bit of a gamble getting opinions from the internet.

And if you think it's difficult getting a straight answer on mics, wait until you go monitor shopping.... :rolleyes:

There are tons of good condenser mics but there not any single one that's the "standard" like an SM57/58.

The usual question is "what do you want to record with it" and, at that point, you'll get more meaningful suggestions. Of course the other question is "budget?". Use of the phrase "high quality" probably takes you out of the realm of "entry level"--but that doesn't mean the cheaper ones aren't good, just that you can spend into the thousands of dollars for the truly high quality stuff.

You've already had some suggestions. If it was me looking for a single, starter large condenser, I'd probably be considering a Rode NT1A or an sE-X1. However, if you record more instruments than vocals, I might even do something radical and get an SDC instead of LDC. sE1A is a good one but there are Rodes and Oktavas to look at as well.

Hey everyone,

I've been using one sm57 for a while. It gets the job done right. Although, I would like the versatility of a condenser mic. Is there a solid condenser out there with quality, reputation, and price comparable to the sm57 or sm58?

Thanks!

Your last detail "and price comparable" ....... thats $97 or $45 used on SM57/58.

I got a MXL 890 for $60 (GC clearance) its got a great sound and some youtubes , like Jam In the Van series displayed its use too. The MXL 990/991 kit is a oldie thats in that price range and some have told me they like it. The MXL V67 has become a favorite mic it seems, with modder's comparing it ot the old Nueman U87.

Yeah I did the same thing, I went into dynamic land a long time, 57,58, SM7....then tried this LDC and it was really refreshing to the ears.

Last edited:
For many things, the SM57 did the right things the right way at the right time, for a long time, with durability and reliability, and didn't let its adopters down. In the $100 condenser range, I don't think there's a parallel. I see the $100 AT2020 getting used on scads of things. If LDC multiple patterns add to the versatility, there's the GXL3000 and Nady SCM960 (JM-37dp) to consider. If you can find an MXL 9090, the plain twin of the V67i, for $90-100, I'd say check it out. Naiant mics are nice. I'd have to say that the most versatile condenser that I have in the SM57 price range was the CAD M-179 (unfortunately, recently spiked upward in price). If somebody described it as "an SM57 on steroids", I could hear that---to me, on a lot of settings, it has a dynamic texture/thickness to it.

Paj
8^)

BTW, these just arrived for me yesterday. They're vocal condensers, so, by design, I don't think they will have the distance utility that other condensers have. However, the intrinsic padding and three-capsule option could make them killer for close miking. Right now, $50, new.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/pssl-killer-deal-9-27-a-383593/

Last edited:
I had a friend with a Rode NT1 that was killer after some EQing. I liked it so much that I jumped up a tier and bought a Rode NTK. Holy cow. That's my favorite vocal mic ever, and it shines on stringed instruments as well. It's a bright large diaphragm condenser, versus something darker like the Oktava MK319.

Mics that have impressed me at the low end.... The MXL M3 Silicon Valve... got it used for $100....Rode M3 got it used for $80 .... The SE2000 got it used for $50..... M-Audio Pulsar II got it used for $70..... AKG Perception 220 got it used for $100
All are very capable and versatile bits of gear.

Back