High pass filter by any other name...

joey2000

high pass filter
low cut filter
low frequency rolloff
bass cut filter

All the same thing right? And if so can the industry pls make up its flipping mind on one term?

There is no end to "industries" using filters. You might start by filing a complaint with NASA, or, Mrs Trump : )

May your Rumble Filter move to the top of the list

If they would leave "cut" and "pass" out of the term, it would be easier. A "low cut filter" filters out low cut, right? Wait. No! :-)

I think...that the difference may be due the American VS British perspectives and terminology...from somewhere way back in the '70s.

It's a glass half-empty/half-full kind of thing. :)

I personally like to think of it as the cutting out of the low end...rather then "passing through" only the high end... because you're not really just passing the "highs" through...you are in fact passing everything above the low cut point.
So a low-cut filter makes more sense...but I've got lots of gear that has both terminologies...so these days I just hit the switch up or down, I don't really think about the meaning anymore.

Well, I think band-pass can mean something different than a basic "filter". I don't think the MIC front end needs to stray beyond filter terminology. I think that should be a "cut", and not a curve. So, already, its not the same : )

I think much of the terminology for filters started many years ago in the RF industry?

Audio men don't for instance, speak of "band stop" filters but the RF crowd do. However, whatever you call a filter you haven't really described it until you give the turnover frequency, bandwidth and rate.

Dave.

Back