Hi-Hat Microphone

fibes

What is a good microphone for hi-hat? I know a lot of people don't mic the hats, but I do! Thanks.

"I run a Tascam PE-125 Electret Condenser on the hi-hat through whatever pre-amp I have available. I don't think the hi-hat is as important as most people make it out to be. If you pull the mic about 2-3 feet away from the hats, you will get a very natural sound from them. At mix, you will hardly need anything from this mic as the overheads will supply just about enough in the first place."

quote from Ed Rei (sonusman)

While I agree with Ed... for that up-front, Steely Dan type of clean hi-hat sound, it's pretty tough to beat an AKG 460............

Bruce

Blue Bear Sound said:
While I agree with Ed... for that up-front, Steely Dan type of clean hi-hat sound, it's pretty tough to beat an AKG 460............

Bruce
Hey Bruce...

Are you still as fond of the 460 on Hi-Hats and have you had a chance to try an "Audio Upgrade" modded 460.

Thanks,
-kp-

I mic my hi-hat all the time and I've tried many diffeent mics but have very happily settled on the Sennheisser e835. I place it to the left of the hat above the top hat pointng down and just slightly away from the kit but still out of my way.

Sonixx said:
Hey Bruce...

Are you still as fond of the 460 on Hi-Hats and have you had a chance to try an "Audio Upgrade" modded 460.

Thanks,
-kp-
No - haven't tried a mod'd one... the last time I used a 460 it was a rental, but I really liked the sound....

i'd have to agree about the SM81, I've borrowed one before when i've needed a hi-hat mic and its always produced good results.

Merlin

i've had decent sounds with both the e835 and e845 sennheisers...possibly i preferred the 835 cos it has thinner tone which stops the sound getting even more complicated...

Blue Bear Sound said:
No - haven't tried a mod'd one... the last time I used a 460 it was a rental, but I really liked the sound....
Thanks...

I have a 460 and I'm debating selling it or investing $150 and having it modified.

For Hi-hats I like the AKG C 391B. This pencil condenser has all the interchangeable capsules. I slap a hypercardioid capsule on it for hi-hats & off we go! Great sound from AKG on this microphone. I also love this mic on my Martin 000C-16.

FWIW this C 391B microphone sounded better with my particular acoustic than the C 451B did. I suppose my 000 smaller body has a brighter snapier tone to it which the C 451B seemed to over emphasiize? I've always chosen mics around the particular instrument(s) I want to record & let them figure it all out.:)

I sure would love to find an AKG 460 for the collection.

I'v had success with the sm81 too. Many small diaphram condensers I have used worked well. (mk012, shure BG4, sm81, mxl603)

i once used an mc-012 on hats. i positioned it level with where the hats meet, and put a pop screen in between the two to protect it from bursts of wind when the hats are closed abruptly. this particular mic/position combo gives you a very sizzly and bright hat that cuts through the mix very well, depending on what set of hats you have.

justin

Having recorded drums for a very long time I've been fortunate to see several different 'styles' in micing techniques and drum sounds...Most of todays sounds dont reqire a tight,close miced hat but need a lot of air with overheads and room mics.For this, a hat mic is going to eat up a track if its printed.There are exceptions. In other times, I used the SM81.It had the best response for a variety of different weighted hi-hats.That being said, I found an old AKG D1000 to work very well on heavy topped and dark sounding hats.This was also heavily gated due to the range and sensitivity of this mic. I've used Sennheiser MD409's on hats.....AKG 451B(not my fav)...Shure SM57...another favorite has been the Beyer Soundstar MKII.Originally a vocal mic, it has a response curve that lends itself to hats in general.

Back