Here is a song recorded with MXL 603's and a Studio Projects C1

Mica

Hey all,

A while back someone asked if I could post a recording done with the aformentioned mics. I recorded this tune of mine last night http://www.uberlabel.com/music/bands/219/music.php . Its called Monsoon Afternoon. Keep in mind that I'm an amateur at recording and that I have no means of isolation in my room.

Acoustic: 4 tracks

Morgan acoustic - Main riff recorded with stereo pair of MXL 603's at the 10th fret, six inches off. Tracked once to two tracks panned left and right into Delta Omni Studio Mic Pre's. Short lead was recorded with the Morgan.

Norman acoustic - Main riff recorded with stereo pair of MXL 603's at the 10th fret, six inches off into Delta Omni Studio Mic Pre's. Tracked once to two tracks panned left and right.

Vocals: Tracked twice through C1 into Delta omni studio mic pre's.

Effects - Sonitus reverb applied to all tracks

Mica said:
Hey all,

A while back someone asked if I could post a recording done with the aformentioned mics. I recorded this tune of mine last night http://www.uberlabel.com/music/bands/219/music.php . Its called Monsoon Afternoon. Keep in mind that I'm an amateur at recording and that I have no means of isolation in my room.

Acoustic: 4 tracks

Morgan acoustic - Main riff recorded with stereo pair of MXL 603's at the 10th fret, six inches off. Tracked once to two tracks panned left and right into Delta Omni Studio Mic Pre's. Short lead was recorded with the Morgan.

Norman acoustic - Main riff recorded with stereo pair of MXL 603's at the 10th fret, six inches off into Delta Omni Studio Mic Pre's. Tracked once to two tracks panned left and right.

Vocals: Tracked twice through C1 into Delta omni studio mic pre's.

Effects - Sonitus reverb applied to all tracks

Nice composition, excellent feel in the playing and vocal. I'd like to hear the recording with less reverb. You might try to eq the rythym guitar track(s) with a few dB cut in the low mids (150Hz to 330Hz or so), or use a multiband compressor if you have one.

Nice job.

This is a nice song and played well. In time, you will get much more from your gear. To me, the track is lacking some a fullness to it, but that is not the microphones. The track is just a bit thin sounding, and even though it is just acoustic and vocal, it could be fuller sounding.

This will come to you in time by gaining more experience, but you are on the right track, so by all means, keep working at it. For a set up like yours at home, not bad at all..... :)

Thanks

Thanks for the input/comments guys. I'll keep working on it and try playing around with some eq and compression.

On my system there's no lack of fullness, the sound is pretty nice.

The left vocal sounds somewhat different from the one on the right.

You say: a stereo pair on the 10th fret but you don't mention the kind of stereo placement, I guess it's an XY placement from what I hear.

The 603 is a wide cardioid, therefore I would sugggest an ORTF placement a little further from the guitar, which will give you a more realistic stereo image, like the guitar is really in front of you when you close your eyes.

You may disagree, no problem. Nice song tho.

That's pretty good work. The C1 seems to show up on more homebrewed recordings that I like than any other mic.

ORTF is a French acronym, I forget exactly what, but it's basically pointing the mics how your ears are. about 6-8 inches apart, with about 120 degrees between them.

mmmmmmm, i love this song.... very peace full .

good job.

( and again, what type of mic placement did you do with the 603's ? you use both? or just one )

That sounds great, esp the sound of the guitars. I like the effect of the double tracked vocal. Nice stuff. Like the reverb on the vocal too. I do think some multiband compression would fill it out a little though, the Sonitus multicompressor is great imo if u don't have a hardware one.

Cool.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I used the MXL's in a XY stereo setup. Yeah, I'm a big fan of double tracking vocals. It can be tricky as you really have to be familiar with the nuances of your voice as you move through the song, but it really seems to fatten things up.

I also found a definition for the ORTF mic placement. I will try this technique on another acoustic/vocal recording and post the results.

This (ORTF) technique was adopted by French Radio and uses two cardioid microphones spaced by 17cm (roughly the same as ear spacing) and angled outwards at 110 degrees. This fine technique often gives a greater sense of space than coincident techniques due to the microphones being ear spaced and thus capturing phase information as well as intensity information.

Its main advantage is that because it uses cardioids, the microphones can be placed further back from the source without capturing too much of the reverberation than most other techniques. This often makes for a better blended balance than techniques that mean putting the microphones a little closer. Also, the use of cardioids enables you to use it in over reverberant acoustics where other techniques would capture too much of the acoustic.

Mica said:
I also found a definition for the ORTF mic placement. I will try this technique on another acoustic/vocal recording and post the results.

This (ORTF) technique was adopted by French Radio and uses two cardioid microphones spaced by 17cm (roughly the same as ear spacing) and angled outwards at 110 degrees. This fine technique often gives a greater sense of space than coincident techniques due to the microphones being ear spaced and thus capturing phase information as well as intensity information.

Its main advantage is that because it uses cardioids, the microphones can be placed further back from the source without capturing too much of the reverberation than most other techniques. This often makes for a better blended balance than techniques that mean putting the microphones a little closer. Also, the use of cardioids enables you to use it in over reverberant acoustics where other techniques would capture too much of the acoustic.

Nice one very useful.

Back