Helping her out,

GazEcc

mBallstát atá tiomanta
Faire Eve my friends,

Thanks to having enough spare time to cure cancer I've been doing plenty of recording of late and even managed to get my girlfriend to sing on one of the tracks, a cover of chasing cars by snow patrol and now she seems to have been bitten by the same creature that bit most of us a long time ago, the love of performing music,

She's long been a performer, a fully trained actress and acting teacher and thanks to the reviews that to be quite frank she deserved for her performance (bear in mind she had little confidence in her singing ability) she wants to get into performing music live for a few pound on the side,

Now although I'm an avid home recordist, I earn my weekly wage by playing in the pubs and being a burden to the state :P, but to my question (and mods feel free to move this if you see fit) She wants to get into the pub circuit like myself. Now first off I refuse to have a girlfriend perform with me after I had a bad experience with a band I was in (the bassist's gf tore it apart at the seams) I've gladly decided to help her get on her feet, she wants to perform to backing tracks a mix of stuff from across the years, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, pop and rock stuff, you know, pub music. I myself am focusing on Irish music so a slightly different ball game,

I told her I'll gladly loan her my PA and do the sound for her any night she has a gig that I don't (and that I get priority on night's we're both booked) as she want's to do it for that extra few pound, I on the other hand still have the rockstar ambitions and have been performing for about 4 years at this stage. But she agreed that she'd let me make decisions on how to get her on her feet and I want to do the best I can for her helping her to get on her feet and get her own PA but the big problem I'm having is what microphone to suggest,

I done her recording with a Røde M3 and it was lovely and clear, but would I be better suggesting that she go for the classic SM58 (my chosen stage mic). The way I was gonna suggest to her getting her gear was a good mic (was gonna say 58) 2 tops (around 12") a 4/8 track mixer / amp cables and an iPod and jack - rca cable to get her started followed by bins / less needed live gear,

(She's an Alto with a pretty decent range that seems to work well on a lot of Rocky songs, like Zombie - The Cranberries, Nickleback, Greenday, Natch Snow patrol - Chasing cars and the likes)

Any tips or suggestions?

I tend to gear according to the gig. If it's kind of shady places, you probably don't want to have anything worth more than an SM58 since it might turn up missing or get crunched under a chair leg or something. And lets face it, pubs aren't the most acoustically ideal places to start with, so there's no real gain in going for the gold.

+1 wardrobe. I'm with the band doesn't work if you look like everybody else.

Well, I personally consider the SM58 to be only a marginally acceptable choice for male vocalists, and a flat out BAD choice for a female vocalist. I would recommend one of the Electrovoice ND series. They have one that is specifically tailored for female vocalists (the 267 or 367, I think), but any of them would work better on a female voice. The neodymium magnet enables much quicker transient response, so you get a dynamic mic that sounds more like a condenser. I think Blue also makes a stage mic with similar characteristics, but don't know much about them. (Been wanting to get one to experiment with.)

How's that cure for cancer coming? Maybe if you find one you'll have the cash to stop being a burden to the state.

Ah I'm quite happy taking tax payer money :P plus I may have a job soon in a studio in Kildare :D anyway yeah after some looking at the mics I think the Electrovoice seems to be most well suited. Thanks for the tips guys any more input :)?

Back