Help on Vocal Mic

ryansteffes

I hate to be one of those people to post and ask for help on a vocal mic. I'm just so torn and there are SOO many different choices. I have an MXL 990 right now and it's solid, it just isn't as perfectly clear as i would like. There is a specific sound I am looking for and a certain voice type I am trying to record. The best way I can describe it is through the song "Talk" by Kodaline. If anyone could tell me the mic that they used on that album, I'd love you forever. I am so stressed about this and I've been looking for so long for a new vocal mic. I appreciate your time and thank you to anyone who took the time to read this!!!

Since I doubt anyone from the actual studio recording session hangs out here you'll probably never get an answer to that question. Just sayin'...
Stock answers:
what is your budget, try some out at the music store, buy + test+ return if needed, "this mic" is the best in the world etc etc...

The same mic does not work on everyone. As ido said try a bunch. If you have any friends who record see if you can try some of their mics. Also remember that more expensive does not always mean better. Lots of great sounding vocal tracks have been done with SM 57/58's

And don't discount the end effect of the engineer and processing. You could take the same mic (whatever it is) and get completely different results with a different engineer, room, eq, Blah blah blah.

Given that, all you can really do is try out mics like Goldie Locks tasting porridge. You'll find the right one when you've found the right one.

I agree, unless one of the folks involved in the recording chimes in we wont ever know.

I don't know if you have one in your area, but Guitar Center rents mics, and will let you do side by side demos of mics in store. Well at least the two in my area do.

1) I would check my budget
2) Pick 5 mics to check into. 5 different brands, 1 model from each. Yes there are 1,000s out there but that will drive you mad. Just pick 5 mics
3) Do your homework - read reviews, check freq ranges, polar patterns, durability issues, etc... eliminate 2 of your selections
4) If you have a store in your area, try to set up a shoot out beteen the remaining 3 mics.
5) After the side by side, pick one of the 3 and move on. There isn't a correct or incorrect answer here.

Don't let "analysis paralysis" stop you. Pick one and get back to recording!

Yep, you can use exactly the same mic as your star and you may hate it.

A mic 'sounds' one way on one voice at one distance/angle in one room with one exact chain of equipment with one particular set of eq and plugin settings.

Variables on top of variables on top of variables!

Start with "what's the budget?". That usually rules out lots of candidates. And of course, the appropriate disclaimers- YMMV, etc. Vocal mics, more than any other mics, are like shoes. They either fit or they don't. What you are hoping, as we all always do, is that the shoe that fits will be a cheap one. Before you meet the handsome prince, you usually have to kiss a lot of frog. Good luck in your quest.

Back