[HELP NEEDED] Fixing Static Sound from RODE NT1-A

KiRaScHiRo

Hello everybody, my Problem is that i can't seem to fix the issue i have with the static sound coming from the Mic at every recording i do,

Sound File.
Vocaroo | Voice message

My setup is as followed , (Pictures).

22068929_1544721935584692_1660617288_o.jpg22070202_1544721922251360_2048453917_o.jpg22050471_1544721952251357_1241565709_o.jpg

And in the End the external Soundcard goes via USB 3.0 into my PC.

and i am Using Audacity to record.

So any help is welcome on how to fix the static noise.

You're probably not going to get much advice unless you put your sound file some place that doesn't require downloading from an unknown source.

Hi,
The outputs you're taking from the mixer are unbalanced, so likely to pick up noise from surrounding equipment.

The fool proof approach is to get a USB audio interface (a real one) with balanced inputs, and use the balanced main outputs from the mixer,
but you might have some luck eliminating the noise by moving things around/turning things off.
Big offenders are fluorescent lighting and anything with a mains power transformer.

If you're going the interface route, consider whether you actually need a mixer at all.
There's plenty of 1 or 2 channel USB interfaces out there with mic preamps, phantom power, headphone outs, main outs etc.

Also.....just checking, are you aware that the NT1a is side address? I.E. talk into the gold dot.

I'm not sure what you are calling the external soundcard, but maybe a couple questions to eliminate the usual suspects:
- What is that little white thing labeled Sabrent? (The only thing I could find online that looked like it said it took a mono microphone input! Is that why the Main level is almost "zero"? Where do you send both of the L-R outputs?)
- Does the sound change when you change the Gain or Level controls?
- Does the sound go away when you unplug the microphone from the mixer?
- Did you try a different microphone cable?

Offhand, I'd suspect that thing that looks like a sub $10 part trying to do the A/D conversion. You'd be better off with a real interface, as [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] suggests.

I'm not sure what you are calling the external soundcard, but maybe a couple questions to eliminate the usual suspects:
- What is that little white thing labeled Sabrent? (The only thing I could find online that looked like it said it took a mono microphone input! Is that why the Main level is almost "zero"? Where do you send both of the L-R outputs?)
- Does the sound change when you change the Gain or Level controls?
- Does the sound go away when you unplug the microphone from the mixer?
- Did you try a different microphone cable?

Offhand, I'd suspect that thing that looks like a sub $10 part trying to do the A/D conversion. You'd be better off with a real interface, as [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] suggests.

Good call - that's his audio-USB converter (I won't call it a 'soundcard'!)

First let me thank everybody for writing me tips on how to fix the issue
Second, Yes that small white thing is an External Audio Adapter *in Germany where i am from it is called Soundcard or Soundkarte*

You can even find it on Amazon for 8 Bucks i think. just search for Audio Adapter Sabrent

It is not the best but i bought it because it was recommended in a Video on Youtube on how to install the Rode NT1-A for beginners.

And Yes i know that in order to get a good Recording you have to talk into the Mic where the (Silver Dot) is. I am not dumb i am just inexperienced with Mics.

I don't really know what you mean by that ? the side is completely Downloadfree for me
you just click *Play* in the middle Box it even starts for me the second i opened up the link.

But thank you for the advise on getting a different interface.

For Answers:
- Yes i tried different Mics, and it is always there, sometimes weaker sometimes stronger.
- My Recording of my Voice is Crystal clear everything is fine, but the Mic is recording this strange static sound in the Background of my Voice recording in Audacity. So the Static is in the Background while my talking is really good, it is clear and nice and loud but every time i stop talking you hear the buzzing and crackling. So maybe my Mic is faulty but who knows.
- Th Sound changes when i change the gain, yes obviously. Like i said everything is fine i can record voice and even Singing but with this static sound in the back all the time, it is consistent throughout all of my Mics. Strange.

Maybe the new Interface will change anything. but i doubt it.
I also heard of "Cloudlifter" would that help? it IS expensive.

Maybe i should plug in the Red and White Output cable directly into the PC not through some kind of external Audio adapter. Will See i keep you guys updated and thanks all.

Please write your thoughts! i like to read them.

You need a proper audio interface (external soundcard). Anything less than $80 won't give you the best sound. Go out and shoot the person in the YT who recommended an $8 USB adapater

I am not dumb i am just inexperienced with Mics.

No insult was intended. You wouldn't have been the first, believe me!

Maybe the new Interface will change anything. but i doubt it.

Don't do that. ;)

I also heard of "Cloudlifter" would that help? it IS expensive.

No, that's not a solution for the problem you're having.
That'd be useful if you had a low-output microphone and were hearing hiss from your preamp.

Maybe i should plug in the Red and White Output cable directly into the PC not through some kind of external Audio adapter. Will See i keep you guys updated and thanks all.

You can try it but you'll still be running unbalanced audio through < $20 of components.

The solution is to buy a fit-for-purpose audio interface, either with mic preamp built in or with balanced line inputs.

If you only require a single-mic setup you could sell/return everything and get a decent USB mic. Just another option.

There's another cheap option to consider since you've got a mixer with the preamp and phantom power the mic needs, and that's Behringer's simple UCA202 adapter. It's about $30USD but I see used ones for a lot less. I used (and still have) the predecessor model and it works fine and quietly enough.

The mixer is sending a LINE LEVEL signal, while the Sabrent adapter is designed for a microphone level input. You've got both level and impedance mismatch there. It's not a matter of balanced/unbalanced (IMO) because it's a relatively short distance, but you could shorten the RCA cables, and remove one, since the Sabrent input is for MONO, not stereo. But, really, stop using that thing with the mixer output.

Another question - if you listen with headphones connected to only the mixer, and not connected to the "soundcard," then what you hear is quiet, with no background noise, right? I just want to rule out the mixer as a source of the problem.

There's another cheap option to consider since you've got a mixer with the preamp and phantom power the mic needs, and that's Behringer's simple UCA202 adapter. It's about $30USD but I see used ones for a lot less. I used (and still have) the predecessor model and it works fine and quietly enough.
I was also going to suggest the same. Gives a few more connection options than the Sabrent also.

Attachments

• 5c13757ff89871b5db8706b262c83c73.jpg
    5c13757ff89871b5db8706b262c83c73.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 27
The mixer is sending a LINE LEVEL signal, while the Sabrent adapter is designed for a microphone level input. You've got both level and impedance mismatch there. It's not a matter of balanced/unbalanced (IMO) because it's a relatively short distance, but you could shorten the RCA cables, and remove one, since the Sabrent input is for MONO, not stereo. But, really, stop using that thing with the mixer output.

Hey Keith,
You're right about the level+impedance mismatch and that'll be exacerbating the issue, no doubt, but the noise is coming from somewhere.
Whether it's *the* cause or not, I'd caution against buying any unbalanced gear regardless of the cable run distance.

No trying to be contrary but if the OP gets a 202 then comes back and says 'OK, the noise is quieter but it's still there',
then he's going to need a balanced interface.
I don't doubt that a 202 or similar will be fine in a lot of cases, fwiw.

Oh! Brother have you got some hum on that!

Almost all 50Hz and some ~150Hz and harmonics (the rest is the converter crap from a crap USB converter) This smacks verily of TRANSFORMER coupled hum. WTF is the power supply for the Xenny mixer?

Wall rats and line lumps are notorious for spitting out hum, get it a good metre away from any audio cable or device.

Yes, the UCA 202 is really very good for its money but you need to set it up in Windows. I can do that here or you could PM me. The mixer is NOT the problem despite what some Berengerphobes might tell you (I certainly don't love 'um! But the mixer is ok) Especially since you are using the Rode mic, the noise floor will be determined by your environs.

But! SHOULD you want to spend a bit more (well, a lot!) Your countrymen, Native Instruments make the truly excellent Komplete Audio 6. That will take the NT1a AND the mixer into its additional balanced line inputs. Gives you Cubase as well* and very low latency.

*Audacity is, err, handy! Free, yes but limited. Reaper is excellent but another 'local firm' MAGIX make the superb Samplitude and you might like to try the 30day demo of that.

BTW. I got the clip ok if anyone wants it attached? Geeez I am getting old an forgetful..The clip noise runs just -40dBFS peak. Friggin' basic cassettes were better than that!

Dave.

Attachments

• buzz.Ge.png
    buzz.Ge.png
    38 KB · Views: 8
Dave,

Have you ever tried the UAC202 (or one similar you've played with) on USB 3.0? The OP is evidently using this Sabrent thing on USB 3.0. Read a few things about some interfaces not playing well on USB 3.0.

Also make sure that the mixer power supply is well away from any audio cables.

Does the noise go away if the laptop is running on batteries?

Alan.

Dave,

Have you ever tried the UAC202 (or one similar you've played with) on USB 3.0? The OP is evidently using this Sabrent thing on USB 3.0. Read a few things about some interfaces not playing well on USB 3.0.

Mark. No not tried a 202 on USB 3.0 but will do...Today!

Dave.

Mark. No not tried a 202 on USB 3.0 but will do...Today!

Dave.

Ok matey, pin back lugs, I have 'perimented!

First off. plugged UCA 202 into USB 2.0 port (HP i3 lappy) set for 'USB CODEC' and Samplitude Prox Silver played out Sgt Pepp' remix into my K92 boootifully.

Plugged 202 into 3 port and I had to re-set in Windows and Sam to get it to play but nay bother. Setup for record, again worked (wet finger test).

Next up the later UFO202 (has RIAA pre). Fine in 2.0 (had to restart SAM) but when I plugged it into USB 3.0 I got "Installing drivers" . I let W7 go through the whole lot including the Win update, too a few minutes but, again, after telling Windows what was what, fine.

So, IF you let Win do its thang it seems ON THIS LAPTOP, the 202s are cool for USB 3.0 but of course, we all know 'puters are finnikety bastards! However, if peeps out there ARE having issues I would bet a good percentage is lack of application to the minutia needed to setup most audio device?

N.B. I switched the UFO to RIAA and the noise came up (as expected) from -81dBFS to -55dBFS but with a good deal of induced 50Hz hum! The gizmo might be ok for dubbing vinyl but I for one would put it in an earthed steel box.

Dave.

Ok matey, pin back lugs, I have 'perimented!

First off. plugged UCA 202 into USB 2.0 port (HP i3 lappy) set for 'USB CODEC' and Samplitude Prox Silver played out Sgt Pepp' remix into my K92 boootifully.

Plugged 202 into 3 port and I had to re-set in Windows and Sam to get it to play but nay bother. Setup for record, again worked (wet finger test).

Next up the later UFO202 (has RIAA pre). Fine in 2.0 (had to restart SAM) but when I plugged it into USB 3.0 I got "Installing drivers" . I let W7 go through the whole lot including the Win update, too a few minutes but, again, after telling Windows what was what, fine.

So, IF you let Win do its thang it seems ON THIS LAPTOP, the 202s are cool for USB 3.0 but of course, we all know 'puters are finnikety bastards! However, if peeps out there ARE having issues I would bet a good percentage is lack of application to the minutia needed to setup most audio device?

N.B. I switched the UFO to RIAA and the noise came up (as expected) from -81dBFS to -55dBFS but with a good deal of induced 50Hz hum! The gizmo might be ok for dubbing vinyl but I for one would put it in an earthed steel box.

Dave.

Thanks Dave...

I you SURE it's not the mic cable?

Hello everybody, my Problem is that i can't seem to fix the issue i have with the static sound coming from the Mic at every recording i do,

Sound File.
Vocaroo | Voice message

My setup is as followed , (Pictures).

View attachment 100526View attachment 100527View attachment 100528

And in the End the external Soundcard goes via USB 3.0 into my PC.

and i am Using Audacity to record.

So any help is welcome on how to fix the static noise.

Are you sure the mice cable is ???

Back