Help mic/audio interface

JamesMitchell

Hi,

I've recently hooked up my mic up to my audio interface to record my acoustic guitar, however I'm having a few issues and was hoping that maybe someone could help. To give you an idea of what I'm using I have a cardioid condenser microphone hooked up to a UX2 audio interface which is plugged into my mac book via USB. When I set up the mic and listen to the audio coming through theres no issues but when I play the guitar into the microphone I hear a buzzing/crackling sound with it. The sound from the guitar isn't affected at all but theres just this annoying and very unpleasant sound sat on top. The sound is also present on playback. I've tried a few things i.e spacing all the equipment far apart so theres no interference, making sure theres nothing nearby which again could interrupt the audio and trying different rooms/areas. I've only just bought a new cable to connect my microphone to the UX2 so I doubt this would be the case either. Hopefully some of you might have some ideas before I do something drastic like buy a new a sound card and mic.

It sounds like your input levels are too hot.

What I mean is, are you overloading your system? If your levels are recorded to loudly into your recording software you will end up with some really nasty clipping (i.e. distortion). Try lowering your input levels on the interface. Then while looking at your meters on your recording software to see if anything is peaking and leaving a red indicator on the track.

I hope this helps.

Back