Help me to choose mics for Acoustic and Vocals.

Chuku

Hey there all. This is my first post. I am new to this Forum and new in Music Production. I just got my first audio interface Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and now I am not sure which mic should i buy under my budget ($100- $150). I want to have a decent mic that can record my acoustic guitar and Vocals too.
Can any one suggest me based on your experience please?
Thanks.

We probably need some more information before we can help you best. What kind of recording space will you be using? Is it treated in any way? Do you plan to record your vocal and guitar at the same time?

I have not setup the recording space but i will be using my Bedroom. I don't have any space/ Room left in my house for studio. So for now, i will be using some space in Bedroom itself.. I know it may sound creepy but for now as i am a beginner, it seems fine for me..
No, i don't want to Record Vocals and Guitars at same time.. But want to record with the same mic one at a time.

I think a basic dynamic like a sm57/545 would be fine. It won't make for highly detailed acoustic guitar, but it's a good middle ground. You could try a cheap large condenser, but to my ear they sound brittle in the upper on voice and guitars, so i'd go with a dynamic. Many great records have been made using 1 sm57 for all instruments. It's not ideal, but it's the best compromise on that budget.

Last edited:
I have the AT2020 USB+ (the USB version with a headphone jack), and it is a good microphone for the price. I assume that the XLR and the USB version have similar capsules.

I have the AT2020 USB+ (the USB version with a headphone jack), and it is a good microphone for the price. I assume that the XLR and the USB version have similar capsules.
Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ | RecordingHacks.com
"As with the namesake AT2020, the USB and USB+ versions use a back-electret, prepolarized capsule with an approximate diaphragm diameter of 16mm."

Slight variation on the frequency response between XLR and USB....

Attachments

• at2020usb.jpg
    at2020usb.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 6
Back